1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else here guilty of this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rube, Mar 30, 2010.

1. rube

rube Active Member

Randomly having the Food Network on your TV for what seems to be eight hours a day?

I swear to God I barely ever pay attention to it, but every time I look I see Ina Garten stuffing a goose or Rachel Ray making a bacon-cheddar-ranch burger that she somehow claims is healthy?

Or am I the only loser that needs to shut his TV off?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I see people who have it on at the gym all the time. I don't know if they are brilliant or idiots.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

It's my "go-to" channel when there's nothing else on.

4. rube

rube Active Member

Really the ONLY show on there I don't like is the 'semi-homemade' show.

I feel like she just tosses random crap in a bowl and shoves it in the oven – few things she churns out looks even remotely appetizing.

Outside of that, I can – and have – watched all the cooking instructional shows.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I think Good Eats is fascinating TV.. I couldn't come close to making anything Alton Brown does, but blending the science and history with whatever dish he's making makes for good TV.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

We have five TVs at Chez Noveliste, and you'd swear it was in our homeowner's covenant to have at least three of them on at all times.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Can't watch it. I eat too much as it is. It will just make me more hungry. Definitely can't watch it at the gym. I leave gym TV time for Cash Cab, House Flippers and Man vs. Wild.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I've learned alot from Alton. Some simple things such as how to make a perfect steak. So much that when we go out to eat my family won't order steak off the menu saying that it couldn't be better than mine.

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is a favorite. I watch Throwdown with Bobby Flay. And anything with Nigella or Giada.

Food Network has replaced CNN as background TV

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The competition shows aren't bad (Iron Chef and Chopped). I don't mind Ultimate Recipe Showdown or Next Iron Chef, especially since those aren't all the time.

Diners, Drive Ins and Dives is good, along with Unwrapped.

The one show I refuse to watch is Barefoot Contessa. God, I hate that show.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tyler's Ultimate, Diners, Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations and a couple on Foodtv.ca you guys may or may not get down there, Laura Calder's "French Food at Home" and Michael Smith's "Chef at Home"

Most of the time you get an idea or two and then improvise plus you get some really handy quick tips.

I used to love the original British "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" but the US one blows.

11. rube

rube Active Member

Loved the British Ramsay Nightmares – I wish to God that thing was on every day.
    Fantastic TV.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I bet Alton Brown could whip up a mean McGangBang

Draft saved Draft deleted