1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone else have a stake in the D3 title game?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Dec 14, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Seems like there's more people on the journalist's message board that think UWW can win... more than on d3football.com's board.

2. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Wonderful to see so many ex-DIII'ers on here.

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Interested primarily as a D-III grad myself.

Secondary interest: Why Wisconsin schools...WISCONSIN...always seem to have such good D-III programs in every sport. I mean, who in hell opts to play baseball in Wisconsin?

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

WIAC is the SEC of D-3.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Don't be a hater. Wisconsin's where it's at.

6. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Not being a hater...my freshman year, we beat No. 3-ranked Wisconsin-Oshkosh in baseball. But I remembered thinking, in the midst of the celebration, "Why are we celebrating upsetting a team that's probably barely seen its field this spring?"

Somehow, they get great players up that way, snow be damned.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

If that's the case, then the OAC is like the ACC, the Empire 8/Liberty League is like the Big East, and the NEFC is like the WAC.. a couple of good teams that get zero respect in the postseason.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Actually, since most of Division III is private and the WIAC is entirely state-funded schools, the WIAC gets little respect as far as postseason bids are concerned. Their bids versus the relative quality of its teams is criminally low.

Then again, most of the WIAC schools should be Division II, or hell, even Division I for a few of them based on their enrollment.

WIAC enrollment
    Oshkosh 10,744
    Whitewater 10,671
    Eau Claire (Go Blugolds!) 10,647
    La Crosse 9,409
    Stevens Point 8,757
    Stout 7,877
    River Falls 5,899
    Platteville 5,559
    Superior 2,881

I mean ... shit. The Division I public school I cover, which plays in a pretty good basketball conference, barely clears 11,000 and its enrollment has been in serious decline for a decade or so.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yeah.. the Wisconsin system is similar to the SUNY system in New York.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You can do an awful lot nowadays before you even go outside with indoor hitting cages and pitching mounds. Hell, you can even do infield inside if you really have to. Being an alum, I know Whitewater has a fairly new huge fieldhouse.

Plus, every school in the north does a 10-day or so spring break trip south and plays doubleheaders just about all 10 days.

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

So that makes the CCIW...?

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Fuckabuncha Mount Union.

The Evil Empire of D-3 Football.

Draft saved Draft deleted