1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen ... or James Webb?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Aug 16, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen?

And I bet Trounced has never heard of Stockwell Day or Maclean's.
    What's your point?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are you talking the magazine, university, singing duo or toothpaste?

3. trounced

trounced Active Member

I didn't realize you are Canadian. My sister used to live and work in Ottawa. She doesn't like Stockwell Day. She's a lib.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Obviously he played too much football without a helmet at Virginia.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

[​IMG]

What, you mean there's ANOTHER George Allen? Who knew?

And hell, this guy's team was named for a racial slur. Like father ...

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm a "lib" too but trust me, most conservatives don't like Stockwell Day either.

7. Re: Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen?

I never realized that Dean Stockwell was big enough in Canada to have his own day.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

But when a Democrat says something idiotic, racist, etc., he/she and all their supporters, on SportsJournalists.com and everywhere else, inevitably turn to "Well, so-and-so Republican said this, so it's not that bad." Classic Clintonian moral relativism.

Basically, the point of this thread, as it is with most political threads around here, is to get as many people to agree with the original poster as possible. Another let's-pat-ourselves-on-the-backs-because-we-know-what's-going-on-better-than-those-idiots-who-don't-agree-with-us thread.

BTW, what Allen said was incredibly stupid and could have far-reaching consequences for his political aspirations. After all, he's not a Democrat who can write it off as ... Oh, never mind.

9. Re: Anyone care to defend Virginia Sen. George Allen?

Hometown of Jordin Tootoo!

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Show me where this has happened, where we've defended a Democrat who said something stupid by saying, yeah, well a Republican did it too. I'm begging you. Show me where this happened.

Anyone who said this said something stupid, and I don't carry what their affiliation is. But remember it was a conservative who immediately began asking why we're bashing Allen when Biden did the same thing.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Biden is a serious contender for nothing. Put it out of your mind.

Allen's always been a pandering horse's ass, and more exposure of this lightweight should put him in the shithole, where he belongs.

Have believed for two years that Guliani is going to get the GOP nom -- and still believe it. Hardly in love with him, either,
    but he'd be a better candidate than Allen . . . and a number of Rudy's obvious flaws fade, if he's in a against Ms. Broomstick.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

At least this guy wasn't going blind like the guy Bush called out last month for wearing shades.

Draft saved Draft deleted