1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone care to defend civil rights leader Andrew Young?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D.Sanchez, Aug 18, 2006.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14406528/

In the Sentinel interview, Young was asked about whether he was concerned Wal-Mart causes smaller, mom-and-pop stores to close.

"Well, I think they should; they ran the `mom and pop' stores out of my neighborhood," the paper quoted Young as saying. "But you see, those are the people who have been overcharging us selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables. And they sold out and moved to Florida. I think they've ripped off our communities enough. First it was Jews, then it was Koreans and now it's Arabs; very few black people own these stores."

2. Nope.
    And he shouldn't be either senator from Virginia or president of the United States, either.
    Carry on.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Speaking of sellouts ....

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Is there some truth to what he's saying? Has there been a concentration of a particular ethnic group preying on black communities by charing outlandish prices? The stereotype is certainly well-documented. By I wouldn't know the reality because I don't spend a lot of time shopping for bread in the ghetto.

But, if it's true, then I see no problem with it.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He's right that other minorities higher up on the pecking order have taken advantage of the black community in some of these locales.

Shame on the black community for not standing up, rallying and supporting its own. You don't like the mom and pop selling you stale bread for 50 cents more than the pre-packaged pricing? Take that money you'd drop in the collection plate, money that could be going to your pastor's new BMW, and use it as seed money to start a convenience store.

Not as easy as I am making it sound but possible.

6. Wicked -- well said.

But also shame on the federal goverment who has given incredible tax breaks to Arabs and other foreigners, allowing them to setup shop in African-American neighborhoods and charge ridiculous prices in the name of insurance.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There is nothing to defend. The guy clearly doesn't fully understand economics or the business world and thus blames believed problems on ethnic groups.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now that's a capitalist stance. Screw religion, let's sell Big Gulps!

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Anyone care to defend the proliferation of (insert candidate's name here)-said-something-racist threads?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm not going to defend Young, nor will I ever defend everything Wal-Mart does. But I will say that Wal-Mart became what it is today by targeting underserved communities that were stuck with overpriced, underwhelming goods, if they could find them at all -- small, rural towns. The issue isn't what ethnic group is ripping off another ethnic group. The issue is areas that need a decent grocery store or general store (for lack of a better term) don't have one, and the people can't get somewhere else, so they get ripped off.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Never said that, Ace. Many times, these communities Young complains about being fleeced by other minorities also are being fleeced by their local churches -- the old lady tithes generously, just so the pastor can drive around in his new sports car. Usually those churches are run by one of their own. But mentioning that blacks rip off their own wouldn't be kosher. Blame the Arabs/Koreans/Jews/Irish/Haitians.

Draft saved Draft deleted