1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody remember the TV show "Combat" with Vic Morrow?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 4, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ten of the episodes were directed by Robert Altman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/arts/television/04watc.html

On Monday AmericanLife TV, a cable network that caters to baby boomers, will begin showing five of Mr. Altman’s “Combat!” episodes as a tribute.

Used to love that show.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Let's see, Morrow was Sgt. Saunders, wasn't he? The other characters I remember off the top of my head were Lt. Hanley and a couple of GIs named Gage and Kirby. And if I could post audio, you'd hear me humming the theme music right now.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Saw that in Altmman's bio. Didn't know it. Remember Combat, the theme, the way it came on the air. Vic Morrow with his Tommy gun. Wasn't David Jansen in that too?

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I watch that show sometimes--they use it as filler on the Encore Action movie channel. I'll have to pay closer attention to them.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Yes, a show us old timers remember well. The other "star," besides Vic Morrow, was Rick Jason, I believe. An enjoyable show.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Vic Morrow's Combat! won-lost record....1-3.

L -- Gets thumped by Glenn Ford in "The Blackboard Jungle."

L -- Stabbed to death by Elvis Presley in "King Creole."

W -- Slaps out 12-year-old son Joey on the pitcher's mound in "Bad News Bears."

L -- Loses a fight to the death with a helicopter in "Twilight Zone: The Movie."

I'm going to hell now, aren't I? :-\

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Worse yet, you could give him two blown saves for the kids in "Twilight Zone."

2X J, please save me a place in hell.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Always found time for Combat, back in the day.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tuesday night's on ABC.

Don't forget "Little John," the tall guy.

Kirby was the BAR guy, Cage was polished with the knife, I believe.

You always felt sorry for the new guy in the unit every week because you knew he was the one who was going to be KIA.

My dad (5th Army group, 44th division 144th infantry, in France/Belgium, Luxenborg, 1944-46,) always watched that show.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You were fine till rhe helicopter, but F_H is indeed just going straight to hell...

12. NBC launched The Gallant Men at the same time, but Combat was better. Altman? Who knew?
    And Micro? Your old man got shot at, didn't he?

Draft saved Draft deleted