1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody own a Honda Fit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Granny, Jun 11, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

The Granny desires a new car to tool around in and pick up high school boys.

Test drove the Honda Fit and enjoyed it. The price is right and I'm this close to buying.

Anybody own one and have any "red flags" this old broad should know about?

Thanks in advance.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Love the "the Fit is go" ads. That's all I've got.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Don't own one but have had several Hondas and they were/are all spot on. The Fit has earned rave reviews for frugality, safety and driving fun, at least relative to other cars in that class.

4. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Thanks for helping a little old lady out. But, please, if anybody else has hear anything, I encourage others to post here.

For the best answer I'll send them my extended cut, off-the-boat edition of "Overboard" starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell their way.

You sweet young writers are the best.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Honda is always a good choice, though if you are in fact not a granny, or possibly a teenage girl, a Fit could cost you a lot of cool points.

6. rascalface

rascalface Member

I've been looking at similar cars as I fear my ride might well be nearing the end of its usefulness. If you like the Fit, you should also check out the Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Chevy Aveo and Mazda 3. You might also consider a Civic.

To me, the Yaris is really tiny. Well, all of these cars are small, but the Yaris feels and drives like a Matchbox car. I liked the Versa hatchback a lot, but the interior leaves much to be desired relative to the Fit (though it has more head and leg room, but as a tradeoff less "trunk" space). On the plus side, the Versa is a few grand cheaper and is a available with a CVT transmission. The Aveo is probably the cheapest of them all, but it's actually a rebranded Daewoo. Haven't checked out the Mazda in person yet, but from photos it appears to be the sharpest of the bunch, at least on the exterior. And if you like "more" car (or don't have your heart set on the hatchback) a Civic (or even a Corolla) might be a better investment. It will probably hold its resale value better than a Fit, will perform better on the road without much (if any) sacrifice in fuel economy, though the price point is a tad higher.

One important note on the Fit. There is a new model coming out in September. The engine will be more powerful (about 10 additional hp with more torque), the legroom will be slightly better, bigger wheels, the car will be a few inches longer and the front windshield will be larger. There will also be a few more bells and whistles available, like a sun roof and onboard GPS, if memory serves. Some analysts expect the fuel mileage to be better, too, (or at least stay the same) but I don't believe Honda has said anything official to this point.

Even if you don't necessarily want the latest model, it might be worth waiting to see if there are any deals as they try to clear out the inventory of 2008s. Then again, sub-compacts have been selling extraordinarily well of late. Some markets have waitlists for the Fit. The Fit is widely considered to be the class of the sub-compacts, but it's also the priciest.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I had a Yaris as a rental once, and it barely qualifies as a car.

If you want to know about the Mazda 3, PM MacDaddy. He knows more about cars than any 10 people I know, and he just picked one up. It's pretty sweet. I'm 11 feet tall and rode in the back seat across the state and survived.

8. rascalface

rascalface Member

I was supposed to get a Cavalier or some other glorified go-kart one time at Midway Airport right before Christmas, but they started running out of cars. So I got this powerful, throaty, piss-and-vinegar Ford Mustang instead at no additional cost. Well, the additional cost was watching the gas gauge go down a quarter tank every other block.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When Car & Driver is willing to give the Fit a spot on its 10Best list, that's about a big a stamp of approval as a vehicle enthusiast can expect.

All the $40-50,000 cars that are eligible for C/D list and the Fit makes it. Wow.

----

Someone offered a good review on the Mazda 3 here, but the mere fact that Mazdas now have Ford mechanic bits scares me away from it in a hurry. I know every car mag, including Car & Driver, has heaped praise on the Mazdaspeed 3. I'm sure it's fast, but similar to the Mazda 3, I seriously question its long-term dependability.

10. rascalface

rascalface Member

Speaking of Ford, have you seen the concept for the new Ford Fiesta? It's definitely interesting....

http://www.hothatchheaven.com/ford/new-ford-fiesta-concept-leaked/

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, it does look interesting. Then again, I didn't think the Focus was that terribly unappealing.

Question is, will it have enough get-up-and-go? And will it do so dependably enough that you won't be spending more time on the road than the hoist at the dealership?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't believe you can go wrong with a Honda.

Draft saved Draft deleted