1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody hear Dan Davis say "Osama Obama" on an ESPN Radio update?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Oct 28, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

He was reporting that Wayne Huizenga says he wants to sell his share of the Dolphins before Obama's tax plan is implemented. Only Dan Davis said "Osama Obama." I figured he'd go on to talk about Heizenga's gaffe. But he didn't. Apparently it was Davis' gaffe.

It was during an update around 11:15 on ESPN Radio during Colin Cowherd's show.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wonder if he adopted that as a joke of some sort, because a year or more ago, Ted Kennedy referred to that Illinois senator as "Osama Obama." Audio of that gaffe got a lot of play, and I know some folks who did it just goofing around. If Davis was one of those, it might have slipped into his working vernacular.

Here's the clip:

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Umm, yeah.
    So what's your point?

4. Joe Williams

Guess I'll tell you as soon as someone tells me the point of the original post.

Nah, I'll tell you now: The first post cited the ESPN guy maybe saying something. I offered a possible reason why, that it might have been a goofy but understandable mistake.

What's your point?

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Why do we do this? Morph into snippy arguments.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Duke has been known to interject his opinions into his updates (particularly his opinions about the owners of various Boston sports teams), but this seems over the line even for him.

7. Joe Williams

My intial response was reacting to it as described as a slip-up, a gaffe, and noting that Davis had famous company in doing that (Teddy K.). If it was a political opinion as snide comment, then that would be different. Anyone know for sure?

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Duke Davis makes me think of 'Grumpy Old Men' when I hear him talk.
    Does he do this to anybody else?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This guy has his own radio show? Who knew?

Draft saved Draft deleted