1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody ever sell their art?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Apr 6, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Well, technically, I'm more curious about selling photos. Over the past few years I've taken up photography as a hobby and I've given photos of some exotic places I've been to people as gifts. Several have told me I should sell them.

Never really thought of doing that when I was taking them, but enough have told me recently that I should that I thought I'd explore it. Thought maybe I'd set up a website or something, but I really don't know much about printing them outside of 8x10s (and I'd really need a more profit-friendly way to do it than going to CVS or something).

I figured there's probably a few photogs or artists on the site who might have some experience with this sort of thing.

Anyone got any ideas or advice?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If you have a particular piece of art, say triangles or something, it'll probably be easier to sell if you're dying because it might be worth more. It's all about investments.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll take $1,900 worth.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with selling photos personally, but two of the people who have taken photos for my paper have set up Web sites. I don't know what their going rates are or whatnot.

Our main photog often fields calls from people who want to buy her photos.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Do you sell by how long it takes or by the inch?

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's awesome. I suggest, if it's newfound money, you put it in the bank.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My late mother-in-law sold some of the paintings she did. They were exhibited in local art shows and galleries, some sold, some didn't, some are on permanent display at a college and seven are hanging on our walls. I don't think she set out with the idea of selling them, she just entered some art shows around a midsize city and it just kind of happened.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If there are any street fairs, art fairs, those sorts of things near where you are, it might be worth contacting the organizers. I've got a girlfriend who sells handmade cards at those (and at garage sales).

9. bigpern23

I haven't been to any local art galleries in awhile. Not sure if they even sell photos around here, or if its mostly paintings and sculptures.

I should take a gander one of these days.

10. bigpern23

Problem with art galleries is, I'm not sure photos would be worth much to an art collector, since they aren't one of a kind items. I don't know. Do people buy photographs at art galleries?

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I used to make some great dick drawings, and recently sold them to a director who used them in a major motion picture.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Thanks for helping. That was a good scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted