1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody ever hired an architect?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm still not convinced!

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think the scene is over.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Right, he just says he agrees to race again, and that's it.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I choose not to run. ...

Did you know the end of the episode was the first time in the series he ever broke the fourth wall? He did the Superman move with the wink.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I knew I should have fired a preemptive Seinfeld shot in the first post.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My bad, Inky.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Unlike George, this guy was an architect:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Art Vandelay was a man of many talents. He also had his own latex business, and in his spare time, was a Superior Court judge.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

An architect is normally going to charge by the square foot, though I'm not sure it'll be easy to find one to do a garage. You'll be better off just working thru the contractor.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Perfect choice. Who could forget his concern about shoddy workmanship of that building he designed in A Very Brady Christmas?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

As someone who has hired an architect...ah-ha-hem...

I would go one of a few different routes:
    -Hire an architect for a few hours. They'd do a walk-thru, measure out your space and go from there. They'd then present some options you could run with. They are also acutely aware of building codes, structural engineering, that sort of thing. They know what to do and can give you options in your price range.
    -Hire an architect outright for the duration of the job (most expensive).
    -Whatever you do, see samples of the architect's work. Have him talk you through it.

I wouldn't hire a contractor outright. That's just asking for it. They are merely executors. DO NOT let them inflict their taste on you. That's a really big, often costly mistake.

If you have taste and want it done right, hire an architect. If you saw the before/after at my pad, you'd be surprised.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

A garage is a relatively simple addition (no plumbing, little electrical) and an architect probably can create all the plans you need for a couple of hundred. You're going to need sealed drawings to get permits, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted