1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody ever been to Egypt?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Wondering about safety there and how easy it is to get around. I've read quite a bit about it online, which says that parts of it should be avoided but that for the most part it's just as safe as anywhere else really. But I can't help but associate it with the rest of the Middle East as far as danger and hostility to westerners.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Egypt may be the safest Arabic country there is. You'd have to avoid places there just like you'd have to avoid Red Bird in Dallas or 09'er ville in LR or Watts.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Never been, but from what I've read Cairo is a really bustling city. So much so, urban sprawl has nearly swallowed up the pyramids.

Getting fucked up on Khat seems to be the favorite pasttime of most Africans in that region.

4. KG

KG Active Member

Other than they won't let a woman fly without being accompanied by a man, I haven't heard anything about traveling in Egypt.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You're going to freak out a bit when you see the crowds. You've never, ever seen a mass of people like THAT, and nothing here prepares you for it.

6. It's an amazing place in every way. Stifling, soaring, grimy, sparkling. Frenetic, relaxed. Frightening, peaceful.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

See, everything I've read says stuff like that's not true there, that it's more progressive than a lot of other Middle Eastern countries. Everything I've read says they don't recommend a woman traveling alone because sexual harassment is common in that case, but there are no rules prohibiting it.

So what I'm gathering from others here who have been to Egypt -- it's not a dangerous place then, just crowded (in Cairo I assume)?

8. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Wow, sound like classy people.
    I will never go to the Middle East and I'm happy about it.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They don't want you, either.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wonder how it compares to Manila in terms of bustle and general chaos. No way to compare the regional differences, but still ...

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Lebanon and Egypt are pretty safe for westerners. I'd stay away from the border areas in either country, however.

Also, read this.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1108.html

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the thing about women not being able to fly alone is bullshit. Rumors like that give the Middle East a bad name. I freaking love living here, although I'm not really excited about the sheep-slaying holiday next week.

I haven't been yet to Egypt but plan to next year. I mentioned this the other night in the company of my new colleagues and seems I'm in the minority by not having visited yet.

The crowd of mostly women rang out endorsements, specifying the pyramids and the museum. You need a solid day for each, they told me.

My doctor here is Egyptian and when I mentioned I hope to go she said she'd give me info before I left. She also added several departing Peace Corps volunteers had stopped there on their way back recently. Never said a word of warning about traveling as a single woman.

If you want me to ask her anything for you, PM me.

Meanwhile, check out Flyertalk.com. There are Africa and Middle East travel forums and there's some stuff on there like an running argument on which is better to visit, the pyramids or Petra.

Don't go in the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted