1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody else pulling football tab all-nighters this week?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how many pages?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

60. 40 tab, 20 broadsheet.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Didn't pull any all-nighters, but our four-man staff did put in about 40-plus hours in Friday-Sunday getting everything done and proofed.

Our boss came in early Saturday morning around 4 am to put his stories in our system so they could be edited.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I appreciate the dedication behind pulling all-nighters. And I know the adrenaline gets flowing. But in the long run, the work's going to suffer if you're working yourself to exhaustion.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the adrenaline always wore off me around 4 a.m.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, you just get punchy around then.

That's when shit like "former Pittsburgh Steeler Tony Dorsett" slips through.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that is funny as hell because it's true.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Yep, mailed it. Didn't use the fax. Didn't use e-mail. Freaking mailed it.

And, yes, he did have the gall to ask why it wasn't in the tab. And I just said, "When you don't send it back until the day before it prints, the post office is not the one to ask to get it to me on time."

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No all-nighters ... yet. But I caught a break when the press guy pushed printing back a day.

By this time tomorrow I hope to be done with all but the importing of late art. I don't foresee any problems: All of the copy is in the can.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

188 HS football mugs took about 40 percent of my time this year.

They were not saved on the Mac like before; they were archived. Our online photo search takes about 30 seconds for response. Then, some of the teams were not cross-referenced to the school name. Then, some -- most -- of the photos didn't have the player's name in the filename, so each photo for a team had to be opened up to see who was who.

That was before the selected mugs were moved to toning, called back into the Mac, resized, saved and imported into our team capsules on Quark.

There has to be an easier way.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, don't run as many mugs.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Four per capsule. 47 capsules. No real way around it.

Draft saved Draft deleted