1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody Else Hate Fall?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sweatshirt weather and football. I love the Fall.

2. joe

joe Active Member

[blushing]

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I prefer S&G version.

And adding to the list of haunting seasonal songs : Summer Rain by Johnny Rivers.

4. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Mowing the lawn is infinitely better than raking leaves. Leaf raking is pure evil. And that’s before the goddamned wind starts blowing. But there’s an even more definitive reason why mowing > raking.

When you start that sonofabitch of a mower, you become Lawn Mower. No longer are you merely man (or woman, or what have you). As Lawn Mower, you are immune from pretty much everything. Outside noise? Gone, thanks to your machine’s loud-ass motor. Other duties? Hell no. You can’t just do part of the lawn.

Ever see that annoying, yappy neighbor of yours coming your way when serving as Lawn Mower? Hell the fuck no. Because he or she sees you are mowing, and they stay the fuck away. Nobody likes to get close to the mower. It’s dangerous, for one, and the Lawn Mower is in the fucking zone. He’s doing his pattern, covering ground, focused, in his own world. Does the wife come out and ask for a favor? Fuck no. She doesn’t bother Lawn Mower. The kids? Can’t fucking hear them. It’s too loud. And they stay far enough away. Because the mower scares them.

Try most of that while you’re practicing your horrible posture raking leaves. Mr. Annoying Neighbor WILL step in for a chat. “Hey buddy, lotta leaves there. Fall comes earlier and earlier every year, doesn’t it?” Have fun with that small talk. Wife needs you to organize the living room? “Honey, come here, you can finish the leaves after we get the couch moved.” No excuses. Kids want to play? Try telling them no. They’ll just jump in the piles of leaves you’ve raked and you’re starting the fuck over.

Lawn Mower. All . Day. Long.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fall in my part of Virginia is as good as it gets ... temps in the low 70s. Blue Ridge Parkway a 20-minute drive away ... great hiking, golfing, biking weather. By far my favorite season.

6. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I'm with you Lugnuts. Not sure I can say that i hate fall, but it signals the end of warm weather. And around here, that can happen as soon as late September in a bad year. If I'm stuck at work on a nice spring day, that sucks. But I know there will be plenty more nice days ahead. Stuck at work on a nice fall day? Could be the last nice day for another 6 months. Ugh.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There's always that bittersweet feeling here when we have to put away flip flops around the week of Thanksgiving.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Summer is hot, winter is cold, spring is dirty. Fall is the only worthwhile season.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hated autumn when I lived in the north. The beginning of the gray, dull days, signalling the months ahead where mother nature made you her bitch. Fuck snow, fuck ice (except in cocktail glasses), fuck shoveling, fuck frostbitten extremities, fuck salt residue an inch thick on your road beaten vehicle.

Autumn down south is much more acceptable. Summer's still my favorite--never have minded the heat after building up a strong tolerance in my youth along the 100% humidity banks of the Mississippi, but fall in Dixie is quite pleasant--nice temps, still shirt sleeve weather at most outdoor football games well into Halloween time.

And then generally a tolerable two month period of winter, if you classify winter as a period where the occasional low temp approaches freezing, not the high, and a snow or ice storm every several years.

So, lug--I think your view of autumn is affected by where you live. At least it has been for me.

And mow the lawn wins out all day, every day. One other reason not mentioned is the quality of accomplishment. When the lawn is mowed, you look out and see perfection---every blade trimmed, every one the same length--clean, smooth, uniformity.

Even if you do an almost perfect job of raking the leaves, there's always going to be more than a few leaves that escaped the clutches of the raking instrument and leave a not quite complete finishing look to the task. Frankly, I'll all for waiting long enough for the wind to take care of my leaf problem and make it my neighbors.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That was fucking awesome. Take a goddamn bow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My favorite season is football season. Football season always happens in the fall unless you're the USFL.

Thus, I love fall, even though I love seeing "a little bit more," so to speak during the summer. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted