1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tips for my new blog

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by Chrishawk, May 11, 2012.

1. Chrishawk

Chrishawk New Member

I just constructed an NBA blog. I'm going to start writing about all things NBA starting when I get out of school. If you guys don't mind taking a look at the layout, I'd appreciate any advice on how to make it better.

http://2shortforthecourt.com/

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Use Wordpress or better yet, Squarespace,

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

The resolution of your banner is way off. Make it exact. Too pixelated.

4. SharpTusk

SharpTusk Member

1. Even when you think no one is looking, always do a good job, and always try to "get it right" even if you've posted it wrong the first time.
    2. In addition to current posts, or in combination with them, work in excellent pieces which address long-standing issues, especially ones that haven't been worked over from a hundred different angles. I find that these posts bring in readers long after they are published.
    3. Participate in a community or two where you can link back to your posts to draw readers. You might consider outposts of the abolished Sportingnews.com member blogs... yougabsports.com and t-s-b-n.com. Both communities have excellent writers and people who are willing to help.
    4. Trade links with writers/bloggers to pull in NBA Fans either from area sites such as a blog that concentrates on Bears Football (readers might follow the Bulls, too, but your site will not be a threat to their site) or NBA sites which may concentrate on stats or other niche aspects without the stories you provide.

I could go on, but I think those would help get you started. -- Sharp

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Listen to Sharp. As a fellow Arkansan (well, working there, at least), I can vouch that he knows how to run a good blog. I've used it multiple times for referencing historic information on a couple of features that wasn't easily found in a media guide.

6. SharpTusk

SharpTusk Member

WOW! Thanks. I didn't realize there would be any other Arkies here. I'm humbled by the compliment.

Chrishawk, if you have any specific questions, I would be happy to take a stab at addressing them.

Draft saved Draft deleted