1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tips for living without air conditioning?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When this happened to the Bundys, they moved into the supermarket.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I think this happened to the Simpsons onces too. I think homer made a tent with the open fridge as the back side.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sit on the ground in front of an open refrigerator door. Drape a sheet over the door. That tip is courtesy of Homer Simpson.

And what about putting dry ice in front of an industrial fan, that would be pretty cool.

4. I don't think they even had an air conditioner in that episode. But that was classic. I have definitely stuck my head in the freezer for a few minutes to get some temporary relief. My Mom yelled at me every time I did it.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I lived the better part of two summers without A/C, though it was in the North Carolina Mountains — which would've been bearable most of the time, except that my top floor apartment received the afternoon and evening sun. I got to know the night shift workers at the 24-hour grocery store pretty well.

If forced to live without AC again, I'd go buy a window unit and put it in a room on the north side of the house.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or a garden hose and a box fan. Sure you'll flood your house, but if you put down a tarp first you can also do slip-and-slide at 2 a.m.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't know about dry ice and a fan, but a tub of ice in front of a fan can cool a room. The ice won't last very long, but it will cool the room.

Also, if you have a dehumidifier, run that in your living areas. I also recommend that if it's really bad inside to have fans in the window blowing out, not in. That should help get the stuffy air out.

Depending on how cheap you can get one, maybe buying a small window unit and keeping just one room (a bedroom) cool would be worth it.

Good luck.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No pants.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've also seen a guy in my town driving around a van with a window unit set into the back window. You could do that and call it a mobile home.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy New Member

Any thought of buying a window AC unit so you can at least have one room cool? Keep the door closed in that room so it should be plenty cool enough.

Hoosier Mommy and I purchased a portable AC unit that sits in the room and has a hose for exhaust that goes outside for her office that is in our bonus room. It doesn't stay cool with our central air unit and can get extremely hot.

Thus far she's said it works fine, except it's a little loud. We got ours from either a Home Depot or Lowe's.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yep, in fact, I don't think they have ever had AC. There was an episode where they were saving for an air conditioner, but Homer had to use the AC fund to buy Lisa a new saxamaphone.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Infernal saxomaphones.

Draft saved Draft deleted