1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tips for living without air conditioning?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For the last three days, we have not had air conditioning. It's now about 90 degrees in here, even though it's cooled down outside quite a bit over the last few hours.
    We called somebody to fix it and they said they would be over yesterday. Not only didn't they show up, they also never called to say they couldn't make it.
    We called another company and were told that after they took care of all the emergencies, there's about a 2-3 week wait. I have a feeling that's typical this time of year.
    Obviously it would have been best if the people who said they could fix it yesterday fixed it, and to not call when they couldn't strikes me as a little unprofessional, but it is what it is.
    Since I may be looking at a few weeks without air conditioning, how could I make it more bearable? I've already opened the windows and turned on some fans, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'd leave the windows open all night long and then close them in the mornings, assuming it actually cools down at night. Also, it might be helpful to put box fans in the windows to help pull the colder air in.

Other than that, hang out in nothing but your boxers and be prepared to sweat.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Living without A/C? I would slit my wrists.

Not that I'm suggesting that to you. It's just what I would do.

4. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

An industrial fan is about $150. It will work.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

If at all possible, stay out of the house between mid-afternoon and dark when it's really hot. Even if you just go for a walk in the park (an air-conditioned mall is even better), it beats sitting in an oven waiting for the heat to dissipate.

I had a place a couple of years ago where the AC went out, but it wasn't that big a hassle for me because I worked 3 p.m.-midnight. By the time I got home at 1 a.m. or so, it was usually pretty comfortable with a fan going.

Of course, I'm a bachelor who lives alone. If you have young kids, it will take more planning. I would suggest a season pass to the local pool if that's a viable option.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Box fans in the windows sucking in cooler night-time air work wonders in a situation like this.

Unfortunately, your current condition is what many Southerners refer to as "Yankee air conditioning." However, you're not suffering this plight by choice. I feel for you.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ugh. Been through this twice in the last four years, including last June when my A/C was out for 8 days. So I sympathize with you, SP.

- Get the strongest box fan you can afford, and keep it running.
    - Splash some cold water on your bedsheets before you go to sleep (I refuse to do this, but others swear by it. 8))
    - Try to stay out of the house when the sun is out, mid-afternoon
    - Drink lots of water

8. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

You mean something like an industrial fan?

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sadly, I've been in this situation all too often.

First, keep your fluids up. Even if you don't realize it, you're sweating off a lot of fluids, so drink a lot of water/gatorade and go easy on the sodas, coffee and alcohol.

Don't be afraid to jump in and out of the shower for a few minutes on a regular basis. It will keep you cooler overall and all you need is a quick dip.

If sleeping is simply unbearable - and I recommend this only as a last resort: Put the oldest sheets and pillowcases you own on the bed. Ditch the comforter and any blankets. Wet the top sheet in the shower, climb under it and have the fan pointed directly at the bed. You'll have an hour of two of relief before the sheet dries out and you get hot again.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I keep a window unit in the bedroom as a fallback. I'll set the central unit thermostat high and just use the window unit unless I've got company over or I have stuff to do in the rest of the house.

Of course, if you get an ice storm and the electricity's out for weeks, you won't be needing A/C.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The strongest key is being away from home during the afternoon heat peak.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Find the darkest curtains/cloth you can and hang them as a way of keeping as much sun out as possible.

Side benefit: No one can see you walking around your place in ragged tighty-whiteys.

Draft saved Draft deleted