1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any tax experts in the house?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. Double J

    Double J Active Member

    Having confirmed earlier this summer than I am a U.S. citizen and have been since birth, I'm now wondering what my tax responsibilities may be.

    I'm aware there are tax exemptions of a sort for citizens who live and work full-time in another country, but am unsure as to whether the IRS will forgive the fact that I've been working for 21 years but have yet to file a tax return in the United States.

    Naturally, I'm reluctant to contact the IRS directly for fear of getting no response other than "give us all your money, make us the beneficiary of your life insurance policy and don't bother leaving anything in your will to your wife and children."

    Can anyone offer any suggestions?
  2. If you live in a foreign country, always have lived in a foreign country and don't work in the U.S., then I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  3. Double J

    Double J Active Member

    That'd be nice. I was under the impression that all U.S. citizens are apparently responsible for filing income tax returns regardless of where they live, but I'd happily stand to be corrected.
  4. pallister

    pallister Guest

    Send me $1,000 and I'll take care of it.
  5. Double J

    Double J Active Member


    Keep the change. ;)
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page