1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any sports radio guys around?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, Jun 13, 2006.

1. JackS

JackS Guest

Good post. There are so few good full-time radio sports jobs that you need more than just talent to get anywhere. "Who you know" helps in any biz, but it's far more pronouced in radio than in print or TV. Talent can get you places in print or TV. Radio is almost 100% luck.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Being born into sports radio helped, too. I realized that I didn't really want to live off my father's legacy, though. Then, I figured out print was a better match for me, but for some people radio is great. I just didn't wnat to have to depend on who I knew for the rest of my life. I wanted to be able to show my talent and make a career somewhat based on talent. Again, that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but if you believe in talent taking you places, I would go into print. Radio is a lot more about who you know and where you can get through those contacts.. I know a lot of radio people who have zero talent, but they're in the position they're in because they knew someone important.

3. JackS

JackS Guest

I consider luck and being born into sports radio one in the same. :)

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Good point. Very good point.

5. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

success at sports radio is determined by two things:

1) how seriously the station takes itself and 2) how seriously you take yourself.

questions you should be asking of your employer: is it strictly a rip-apart the newspaper and react type of place, or does it have some good reporters? does it report any goofy rumour it hears, or does it actually check? (contrary to what many of the print virgins on the board may think, there are actually places in the world that do the latter of the last two, and not the former.) also: how often is there turnover among the hosts/staff, even the format? are schedules put out well in advance, or haphazardly thrown together? things like that. i listen alot to the fan 590 in toronto on-line. in my opinion, it is the best sports radio station out there. it breaks stuff, doesn just toss shit out there, and its guys are respected. it launched the careers of dan shulman & elliotte friedman, both of whom went on to bigger and better through the opportunities they received. its afternoon drive host, bob mccown (who i think is one of the best broadcasters anywhere) is believed to make $500,000/year between his radio and simulcast work -- which is enormous in this country.

questions you should be asking of yourself: how hard do you want to work? will you show your face at games, meet people, do your own reporting/interviewing, or do you just want to sit in a studio and spout? look at those two reporters banned from the royals. i don't know either, but they seem to be respected. you can follow them, or you can follow the stereotypical sports radio loser mocked by the majority on this board.

6. JackS

JackS Guest

Excellent point about format changes, and as a related point, ownership changes. So often in radio a new owner comes in and just totally blows the place up...new format, new staff, new everything. You're screwed. You don't see scenarios like that in print or television. Sure, new ownership comes in and tweaks things in print and TV, but they generally don't eliminate the sports section or the nightly sportscasts.

You mention a top notch sports radio station in Toronto, but that's the problem. There are not many stations like that. And that's why good full time jobs are so scarce.

I think you can take yourself very seriously and still go nowhere in sports radio.

7. I think not

Draft saved Draft deleted