1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any sport you don't enjoy covering???

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't so much hate soccer, as I hate soccer season. It's a winter sport in my state, and games start at 5:30 p.m. Girls first, then boys. This time of year, when you get those cold 35- or 40-degree nights, the frostbite starts to set in about the start of the second game. All the crazy parents in the stands know this and dress in North Sea oil driller survival suits while cuddling up to propane heaters. But if there's no pressbox, the poor reporter just freezes his ass (among other things) off.
    Soccer season sucks.

Swimming is bad for the opposite reason. We have one big meet a year that we cover, the first weekend of June. Down south, it gets a little warm around then. Standing next to an outdoor pool in 90-degree weather and not being able to jump in is pure torture.

As for running events, like cross country, 5Ks or track meets, I've always enjoyed them. For high school stuff, we always have three or four teams at the meets we cover. So you just show up an hour or so before the meet ends, find out who did well, and write about them. Put in a couple of paragraphs about the other teams and before you know it you've popped out a 16-inch story with no effort at all.
    Same with 5 and 10Ks. Write five or six inches about the winners, maybe a couple of paragraphs on attendance or atmosphere, and you've got a nice story. Plus, most of our events like that are early in the day. So whoever covers them at our paper works a couple hours and gets the night off.

2. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

Volleyball, hands down always gets me in a horrible mood. In the fall, soccer blows and in the spring, I hate lacrosse.

And you guys that hate covering wrestling, that actually surprises me. It's probably my favorite thing to cover other than baseball & softball. Cross country rocks too, so easy. The only thing I've never covered is field hockey and I'm in no rush.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

jai lai. That sucks.

4. if you're only covering three or four athletes, just get their cell or coach's cell the week before. no worries.

Hey, where are you guys?
    We're under the trees across the parking lot from the finish line.

Draft saved Draft deleted