1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any South Dakota advice?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, May 9, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ah, I see now. Nicely done.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Get an Indian taco at the Badlands. Go to the Black Hills to see buffalo.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Wall Drug is cool.

The pink highway is weird.

Badlands is really awesome.

I've only seen the Black Hills from a helicopter. But it was awesome from 500 feet ...

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Devils Tower is easily accessible, I-90 east about two hours to the Sundance exit in Wyoming, then about 20 miles north.

Not much for a 10-year-old in Deadwood.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  5. three_bags_full

Funny thing I learned about Devil's Tower during that flight through South Dakota. Aviators are required to fly 2,000 above national wildlife areas, national parks, etc. Those areas are outlined with a blue line and covered with small blue dots.

The same applies for the Devil's Tower area. However, in a separate box, the chart says, "For reasons of national welfare, pilots are requested to avoid flights within 3NM of Devil's Tower National Monument."

National welfare? WTF is going on up there?

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I appreciate the advice.

I know we're going to Wall Drug, but I don't know what it is.

I was a little disappointed to find out that there is nothing to see in Sturgis if it's not Harley weekend.

We have Cedar Pass Lodge restaurant on the agenda when we go to Badlands.

9. three_bags_full

Wall Drug is a very large collection of old west shacks cobbled together to sell tourist junk. If I recall correctly, there's a restaurant or two there and a place for kids to get ice cream, etc. What makes it famous is its advertising, which you'll see for hundreds of miles. And, it's very near the Badlands.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty damn cool that your 9-year-old wants to visit Mount Rushmore.

I've always wanted to go myself -- in part, I think, because I watched North by Northwest as a kid.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wall Drug is the "South of the Border" of I-90. Your 9-year-old might get excited by it. But it's just a tourist attraction for the sake of a tourist attraction -- to sell useless trinkets. You kind of feel like you need to stop on a cross country trip, because I-90 through South Dakota is a ridiculously long stretch. And you see the signs for hundreds of miles. Do it once, though, and I can't imagine anyone doing it again.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's really into reading about the presidents and geography and all that fun stuff. My wife and I look at it as a "cheaper option in between Disney trips"

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted