1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

any parent's unimaginable nightmare: 2 children stabbed to death by nanny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Oct 27, 2012.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

now wait a sec, i dont know that i agree there.... this happened in nyc so the ny papers covered it. the other stories noted above didnt appear out of the blue. they received media coverage, too. but by local media. so where does the 'nyc factor' come in?

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

agree 1,000 percent. i'd assume she was beingpaid the going rate for nannies in the neighborhood. that's how it usually works. but if she wasnt, who gives a crap? what, that should make us feel like the family had it coming to 'em?! omg....

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Wow, that Lupica column is over-the-top bad.

"And now the epic columnist will craft a literary murder masterpiece." Fail.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's an international media capital. It's easier to hype and program and cover a sensational story when it happens on the doorstep of every national media outlet. And New York has the same cachet to folks in lots places as Hollywood.

Lots of reasons to expect this to go bigger than the same story from Cincinnati or Norman or Portland might.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Just a listing of recent murders and "this has been a horrible time in the city lately!" spin.

And I know it's not the News' fault, but it just looks wrong for a column about murder to have a photo sig showing the columnist with a huge smile.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

good point but isn't it the snooze's fault? they should have columnists like mikey have a straight-faced column logo pic for solemn subjects like this one.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, just Lupica's writing style, too.
    This is a horrific crime story, not Talk of the Town.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't have kids but couldn't imagine. What the hell is wrong with people?

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

It's been reported the mother didn't work, except teach art class at the museum every now and then. So why a nanny?

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Does it make a difference?

As far as the coverage goes, doesn't someone in the family work at MSNBC or something? The story I read, it extensively quoted the mom's blog. Don't see that too often.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

God, that story was written horribly. The writer was all cute and over the top on a story that should be very straight and to the point. No flare needed.

12. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

It was terribly written and edited, if it was edited at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted