1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any mountain bikers around?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Anybody riding a GT Avalanche 3.0 or the Specialized FSRxc with disc brakes?

One of my local bike shops has used models on both. They're within $50 of each other, but I don't know if I should get the full-suspension FSRxc or stick with the hardtail GT.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

For the extra $50, I'd just go with the FSRxc model. I don't know the type of terrain you'd be biking, but disc brakes are much more helpful and safe than your old rim brakes.

Unlike rim brakes, the disc brakes, as you'd figure, are located in the center of the tire and are more effective under adverse conditions. Also, because they are located at the center of the wheel, they stay drier and cleaner thus allowing you to stop more easily.

Disc brakes tend to be heavier and a bitch to clean especially if they are hydraulic disc brakes.

Overall, for the extra $50, I'd go with the newer model.

Draft saved Draft deleted