1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any hope for an inept sports franchise?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jsanmateo, Oct 22, 2008.

1. jsanmateo

jsanmateo New Member

Anyone notice that the three worst franchises in the NFL have made mid-season changes. Detroit fans rejoiced when Matt Millen left the Lions to go mow lawns again
    (http://deadspin.com/5054465/matt-millen-lonely-man-with-a-lawnmower) "Lance" Kiffin pissed off the Don Al Davis one too many times (http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/bradcymru/aldavis.jpg and Mike Nolan finally got axed for poor coaching and practically ruining his hand picked franchise quarterback(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=31733.

All three have been awful and have one thing in common: bad ownership. Detroit seems to have fixed their problem, but is there any hope for the other two? Or is it gonna be crappy football in the Bay Area for another 10 years...Uggh

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is hope in Oakland because it is doubtful Al Davis can live for another 10 years (actually, I think he's dead already).

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yes.

Wait, I mean no.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I dunno, Al Davis might be in that Keith Richards/Living Dead category. It's a theory, anyway ...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey you stupid fucking jerkface older fellow of ill temper, didn't you hear Davis at that presser a few weeks ago? His mom lived to be more than 100. He's going to be around for another 25 years.

(Welcome back! We missed you very much!)

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The three "worst franchises"?
    These teams aren't even in Cincinnati's league.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Anybody else find it interesting that of all of the links posted to back up the poster's case, only one is from a legitimate news site, and even then, it's a beat writer's blog?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is a pretty big difference between "worst teams" and "worst franchises"

The Lions may be one of the worst franchises, but Millen's old job will be a coveted one.

If the Raiders are smart and hire someone like Fassel, they could be turned around very quickly.

The Niners and Saints are giving tryouts to two coaches who could very well lose the Interim tag if they have success during the next 10 weeks.

Nolan didn't ruin Alex Smith. Smith was destined to be a bust and when all is said and done, will be a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf.

9. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Really, Twoback? Cincinnati was in the playoffs a couple years ago and within on cheap shot one Carson Palmer's knee of ending the Steelers' Super Bowl run in one game.

The Raiders, I'll give you. They were in the Super Bowl this decade.

Nobody in the NFL, meanwhile, can match Detroit's aptitude for suck.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bill Bidwell is whistling past the graveyard right now ...

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

But there's a salary cap in the NFL. These teams should have no problem competing.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are high school offenses that could have scored on that 2005 Bengals team (today really is my day for hyperbole). They managed only a very small window with that offense and failed to put together even a serviceable defense together before the offensive line fell apart.

Draft saved Draft deleted