1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Hikers Out There?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Brooklyn Bridge, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello SJ Hikers,

I will be making my own TV public access show this week focusing on getting outdoors. I'm going to start with some family-friendly hikes in the local area and touring some historical places. One of my segments is going to be "what do you need in your bag?"

On shorter hikes 1-2 hrs. I figure its water, maybe a power bar.
    On longer hikes, I would think a map, compass, what else?

P.S. No overnight stays so I won't need tents, or anything like that.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Before I left the newspaper biz, I did series on hiking.
    GF and I picked two hikes a month in the nearby national parks and national forrest.
    Obviously, print is much different than a TV show, but my focus was giving readers tips about nearby, cool, hikes.
    We only did beginner and easy intermediate trails. Serious hikers don't need tips from a general interest publication.
    Every piece in the series included a breakout box with: a trail map anddirections on how to get to the trail head, a difficulty rating, elevations, trail traffic.
    The body of the story included descriptions and advice on stuff to look out for, should you wear heavy-duty hiking boots or light boots, etc.
    And of course it's a great chance to run a lot of cool photos.

It was a lot of fun.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Always, always, always carry a first-aid kit, map, compass, fire starting kit and signal whistle/mirror.

Doesn't matter if it's a one-hour hike on a trail you've known your entire life, prepare for a worst case scenario.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A good segment might be on how to read a trail/elevation map. As someone without a lot of hiking knowledge, I look at those things and have a hard time figuring out what's what. But I'm sure it's a valuable skill to have.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Elevation is key point when talking about hiking with novices (by the way, I am not an expert hiker).
    Your readers/viewers need to know the overall elevation and how it could effect their stamina and the difficulty of the trek.
    They also need to know elevation differences along the trail. A 1-mile hike that rises 500 feet in elevation can be a lot more strenuous than a 3-mile hike that rises 500 feet. The steepness of that grade is very different.

The idea is to provide information for people who might not normally be out on the trail.
    The expert hikers have their own magazines and Web sites for information about expert-level hiking.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

How about whether the hike is in a cell phone coverage area and what costs you might incur if you dial 911 for help and they send out a search party?

What cool out-of-the-way restaurants might be on the way to or from the trailhead for a post-hike munch-down?

A general warning not to drink from those seemingly-clear streams without the proper equipment might also be good.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm an Army hiker, I guess. We carry some other stuff, but hey ... hiking's hiking, right?

GPS for all trips. $100 job from Dick's will do just fine.

For longer trips, in addition to what's been mentioned, rain gear, multi-tool, larger water source (Camelbak, etc.), emergency blanket, a topographical map that shows not only the route, but terrain relief as well (this can cover the elevation question). All this, of course, depends on the size bag you're carrying and how much weight you want to throw on your back.

Some people, myself included, hike for serious exercise, rather than pleasure, so weight is pretty critical (sometimes, the more the better). When you suggest a certain packing list, make sure you weight it and provide that for the reader.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I do a good amount of hiking. Always a map. Always a flashlight. Always tell someone in the lowlands where you're going and when you expect to be back and be in contact with them.

I have a good-sized Camelback and I always take two extra liters of water. You can never ever have too much water. Also have a first-aid kit and some power bars and/or gorp. And some extra water left in the car just in case.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wife makes me go on a forced march once a year. I suggest a segment on how to feign injury on the eve of the scheduled jaunt.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This at a minimum, plus a hand-crank flashlight.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

TOILET PAPER!

5 minutes or 5 days ... toilet paper.

If you are anywhere near the AT, it would be good to give a description of the trail marking blazes -- white, double white, blue.

12. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

If hiking in the mountains I always take bear repellent. It works on cougars, too. I agree with suggestions of most other posters and would add a bear bell and hiking poles. The poles save wear and tear on knees and for stabilization purposes on uneven footing they are essential.

Draft saved Draft deleted