1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Given Wednesday cancelled by HBO

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, that's not a bad idea.

Meta, and I like it.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

One of the reasons that Simmons is no longer a must listen for me in the post-ESPN era is that every single NFL conversation has to filtered through the Pats and especially Deflategate. He's repeatedly ripped Collinsworth for bringing the issue up during the Super Bowl, perhaps not unfairly (but certainly too often). At some point, the best analyst in NFL doesn't need to take shit from a know nothing.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree with all of that. And can understand why Collinsworth might have had reason to want to pounce.

Just never a good look to me when you appear to be kicking someone when they are down.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    SnarkShark likes this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I just read the Sandomir piece -- this was a great, if mean, reader comment "I was unaware Mr. Sandomir has already started his new job of writing obituaries for the NYT"

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Collinsworth cracking on Simmons, but that's a funny place to take a stand. Was that even an insult to Collinsworth? Seemed more like an insult to the Pats. Maybe they'll shit on Simmons, too. Now that'd be funny...

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Simmons didn't even tag CC in the tweet. Someone searching his own name?

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Simmons had Collinsworth on the podcast today and they laughed about it. As feuds go, this isn't much of one.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course not. Simmons is harmless.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And here comes Deadspin with an opus on the wobbling Bill Simmons empire.
    http://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-isnt-too-big-to-fail-1788556607

They connect the dots pretty well. Dude had it made at ESPN. The Ringer is just largely inessential at this point. Is he just tired of writing? He's certainly earned the right to write as little as he pleases, but I'm not searching out Shea Serrano or basically anybody but Robert Mays in that stable at The Ringer. The precipitous drop in its traffic does not bode well.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Deadspin post kind of glosses over where he is doing well. It's about the podcasts. From what I gather ad rates are much better for them than websites, especially when you consider costs. Deadspin just tosses it in as an aside that Bill's network is doing fine.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking this, too. If what they wrote is correct, he might have something to build on there. He could ditch the website and concentrate on expanding the podcast network. I not sure how much legs the medium that still has, but let's say there is still room to run with podcasts as a growth area within internet media. ... that read as if he has something to build off, a la what Adam Carolla has done with his podcast network. Growth would depend on Simmons being able to keep himself interesting, and then attracting other podcasts that develop a following. Which is easier said than done, but still. I have no idea if podcasts are still growing as medium, and if they are at what pace. But without specifics of how much money he has put into his site, how much he is shelling out to keep it running, and what the site and podcasts are doing in revenue, podcasts may be his future. If the website is failing and it is just sucking up cash, I'd consider going to podcasts full time. It sounds as if it is his strength.

Draft saved Draft deleted