1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Future for Writing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Journo13, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I'd consider history, but I've heard that it's a useless major, much like philosophy. Would it lead to decent jobs, along with journalism?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As a second major, though. Not as a first. Same with Philosophy or History.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The most obvious job for a history major is teaching history.

4. Dick Whitman

I'm telling you: Economics or a hard science. With a second major in a foreign language or International Relations. If you want to be a serious journalist in the 21st century, that is your roadmap.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with this, speaking as someone who graduated in 2007. I think there are two ways to distinguish yourself as a candidate:

- A lot of experience in reporting. I doubt anyone hiring will care if your clips are from The Weekly Local Paper as opposed to The New York Times, as long as you have a bunch of them and they show improvement. If you're already writing regularly as a junior, and doing it quite coherently on here if I may say, I probably don't need to tell you this.

- A skill or talent that separates you from other candidates. Whether it's an economics degree or speaking a second language or some other skill, give them a reason to hire you besides that you can write. There are tons of people out there who can write well.

There are opportunities out there, just make sure you got into this with eyes open, as you seem to be. You will probably make $18k to $25k at your first job and staring daggers at your teacher friends who have the audacity to complain about making "just" $32k to start out. Managers and even assistant managers at fast food places will make more than you. But if you really, really like to write, then it is a pretty sweet gig.

(And, if you aren't so sure about that last part, I'll add that it is an industry that is always looking for competent freelancers.)

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Future for writing? Yes. Future for writing as a means to make a comfortable, stable, support-a-family life? Not like the old days. Sure, some people your age will do it -- and maybe you're one of them -- but if you want to play the percentages, follow another career path.

You can always, always write on the side. What sgreenwell said, there is a very steady market for freelancers, and more importantly, story ideas. My wife is a magazine editor and hires freelancers all the time. Good ideas get you in the door, good writing keeps you there. And it doesn't matter all that much how old you are or what you have done.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd do a double major in political science and a foreign language (probably Spanish). I got my actual job out of college off my internship, anyway, which is how it usually works for post-grad journalists. Major in whatever and work your ass off in student media/internships.

8. Journo13

Journo13 Member

Thanks for all of the advice so far. It really helps given the piles of articles that are predicting the death of journalism. I just have one more question for everyone: is it a better idea to cover news besides sports, or is there not much of a difference? Thanks again to everyone!

9. Dick Whitman

A big advantage in news that you probably can't appreciate yet, because I'm sure you're still a night owl, is the hours. Sports hours, to be blunt, suck. And they suck worse once you have a family. Unless you're one of the lucky ones, you'll probably at least start off covering preps. Which means all nights, and all Friday and Saturday nights, as well. Which means you'll spend most of your 20s in a gym or football press box. And, down the road, that's where you'll be when your kid is playing Little League games, etc., etc. It may not sound like much now, but when all your buddies are going to the movies on a Friday night or getting together for dinner and a couple beers, and you have to drive 60 miles to cover a high school football game, it's going to wear on you.

I would 100 percent go into news first if I had it to do over again.

10. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

+1.

Major in a practical field and then minor in journalism. And if you want to be a writer for a living, write about the field you studied and become the foremost writer in that field. Sad to say, but the future involves branding yourself in some fashion. Not necessarily blatantly "look at me" stuff, but becoming known as the "it guy," the "go-to man" or the "voice of authority" in a particular topic or two.

Good luck, kid. Make us proud.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

There are more news jobs, just in general, and there always will be. Also, there are more chances for lateral movement to different types of beats/sections if you are already in news, and being a good news writer would make you a better sports reporter, should you choose to go a different route.

That said, you still would like to enjoy what you do a little bit. So, the only way to know whether being in news or sports makes a difference to you is to try both, giving each a real and fair chance and test run.

If I were you, I'd certainly be open to both, particularly because it appears that your possible interests might help you lean toward news and make you good at it, anyway.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Greeting cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted