1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any fans of "The Wonder Years"?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Apr 1, 2009.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Boy Meets World's final episode:

It's really worth the 22 minutes. Especially if you've never seen it.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't speak during the episode when Will's dad returns then leaves. It's powerful stuff. The episode where he gets shot and takes Carlton's gun away is great, too. Will Smith has a lot of potential. I mean, he could work in movies. Hopefully he'll give it a go sometime.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

"I love you all. Class dismissed."

William Daniels was the backbone of the show. One of the great mentor figures. And Corey's little speech to his young brother was also well done.

I was 12 when the show ended, but fuck, I still feel like I grew up with the characters. I never, ever missed a TGIF episode. It was the rare show that got better as it aged - certainly improved post-Minkus, may have peaked during high school years, but was still very good during their college run.

4. redsox99

redsox99 Member

I taped (yes, I still have a VCR!) about 10-12 episodes of TWY, including the pilot and the finale. Sometimes when there's nothing else on, I'll pop in the tape and I STILL get teared up. If you grew up in the late 1960s-70s, this show is spot-on in so many ways. The emotion of this finale is deep, but the show that I have only seen twice and can't even bear to watch again is the All In The Family episode when Edith Bunker dies. I watched the original and once in syndication ... whew.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think it certainly peaked in the high school years. At college, the overacting in Corey and Eric, especially, jumped to new levels, and I don't think it was for the better. But that last episode made up for a lot of it. And Eric was still extremely funny, especially with his timing and the way he played off everybody. He was easily the best comedic actor on that ensemble.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wonder Years was Thirtysomething for junior high. My So-Called Life was Thirtysomething for high school. Life Goes On was Thirtysomething for blue-collar adults. ABC had a nice little theme going at that time.

7. dooley_womack1

Oh, and don't call up winniecooper.com at work. Just sayin'

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

What an odd website. Must be a fetish thing.

9. dooley_womack1

Yeah, for nylon fetishists. It's run by a crossdresser

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I was kind of hoping it would be a site with pictures of really hot girl next door types.

11. dooley_womack1

That would make sense. But I guess something with a different interest got the domain first.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Eric was a tremendous character and Will Friedle nailed that role, especially in the season when he was a senior in high school and on the brink of college. The show seemed to change a bit when Jack, Angela and Rachel came aboard...sometimes for the better, usually not.

I think fans back then would be shocked that Frankie Stechino, Minkus,and Griff have had the most notable acting careers post-BMW.

Draft saved Draft deleted