1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Fans of "Men of a Certain Age (TBS)"???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've watched very little of this, and am willing to give it a chance because of Andre, but what I saw tonight was almost all Romano all the time, and if that's consistently the case, include me out.

2. I missed last week, but tuned in last night and hated it ... suffered through 45 minutes and turned it off at the end.
    Hated it.

3. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

The show is can't miss for us. And my wife despises Romano dating to the "Raymond" days, but she came around after last week's episode when Romano takes up for his daughter with her stalker ex-boyfriend.

Braugher is the best and Bakula is good too. I like how Braugher and Bakula can brutally bust each other's chops being honest friends, but still be so close.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Count me on in those who thought it was another great episode. I laughed out loud more than a few times.

Ben_Hecht: This show is clearly not all about Romano, just this episode. Other episodes have focused on Braugher and Bakula, and others all three.

Great show, and this coming from someone who did not watch Raymond (*but did watch Homicide and Quantum Leap).

5. Great show ... Carry on.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Ben, read the Sepinwall review of the episode I linked above. As he notes, this was episode 6 and quite rare that it focused almost solely on Romano's character.

I sometimes wonder if the hatred for Romano on this board is because he played a sportswriter in his previous series -- an unrealistic sportswriter who was home all the time.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I know what show you'll be watching ...
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i313248bc657fce3c28d4af7081eba004

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

From a non-writer, Romano is enjoyable to watch. His awkwardness is funny; enjoyed the way Bakula and Braugher rip him at breakfast to just "go with the flow" and don't mess it up by overthinking things. His attempts to get close to his workers is cringe-worthy.

The opening with the Mexican stuttering the lines was LOL.

The blind date was well done. Boy am I glad I'm not dating in my 40's.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't hate Romano. Much of his stand-up act was drop-dead funny.
    But I was an infrequent viewer of ELR, for multiple good reasons.

10. I would be nice for those of us who can't add another show on the DVR for Monday if TNT would put the past two episodes up on their website.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

this thread kind of faded away, so I missed this post. Pittsburgher, you could record the second showing on Monday night (they rerun it at midnight or 11 p.m. or something like that).

Also, as long as I'm here, the season finale is already coming up next Monday.

Nice twist in the last episode with Joe actually winning his huge bet and yet losing the girlfriend (Sarah Clarke) when he told her about it. In the real world, no way he wins the bet while betting on "New York" in a basketball game.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Good point.
    I really liked the complexity of the setup with Terry and the young girlfriend. She forces him to get back out there and try again, but then when he actually succeeds, he can't be there for her, like he said he would be ... I wonder if she sees all that, or if she's just pissed that he couldn't give her the surfing lesson.
    Glad to see in the finale preview that the Andre Braugher character is finally going to take some action RE his work situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted