1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Fans of "Men of a Certain Age (TBS)"???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 9, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Rang too true for me to enjoy.
    The diabetic friend who shoots up before lunch. The outdoor adventure mixed in with a diabetic medical scare. The guy who likes to gamble too much. The older guy who still thinks he is in 20s.
    Crappity crap, I want to be entertained when I watch teevee, not watch a documentary of mine and my friends crappy lives.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

lovin' it. must-see tv. 8) 8) 8)

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was cool seeing the guy who played "Don King" in Rocky V play Owen's dad, and I always hated Shane when he and his bitch wife beat the crap out of Tavon, nice to see Brian White back on his feet; and that was Lost's Libby playing the actress working the with the realtor.

I was never a fan of Romano's - nothing against the guy, but he never surprised me. Here he does. If you haven't seen The Grand, a mockumentary he was in about a fictitious poker tournament it's worth a look via Netflix or RedBox. Werner Herzog steals the movie though. Really interesting cast, Woody Harrelson, Chris Parnell, David Cross, Dennis Farina, Jason Alexander, Judy Greer....

4. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Great to see a lightly watched cable network come up with another winner while the networks keep cranking out the same pablum.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Romano was on Letterman and he said he didn't even think about pitching this to a network (for two reasons, if I recall: 1. Didn't want the Raymond comparisons; 2. Can get away with more on cable. Hell, they say bullshit all the time on this show).

6. TNT has at least a couple of good shows, this and Leverage, although leverage doesn't hold a candle to the BBC show it stole from in "Hu$tle". Between that and FX, the networks are really lagging behind.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What surprises me is that a show like The Closer wasn't pitched or bought by a network. A great cast, an interesting lead. Love Mary McDonnel's character when she's guesting. I don't know how you come up with a character like that who is such a perfect foil for Sedgwick's Brenda Johnson.

It's odd though - a few times Monk and Psych appeared on broadcast networks during primetime (they weren't hyped but more like inning-eaters) - they drew worse numbers than they do on cable. Might have been that they were reruns or airing on Saturdays, but I think the cable thing gives these shows a certain flair. The promos for Southland on TNT make the show seem even better than when it was on NBC.

8. lantaur

Off subject - are they doing any new shows for Southland or just going to run the old ones? That's a show I was thinking about watching when it was on NBC, but didn't see how it would make it once Leno was given that last prime time slot.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They're going to run the original seven episodes that ran on NBC and then at least six more new ones that have been completed. After that, obviously, depends on the ratings.

Now, onto tonight's episode of Men of a Certain Age.

Much less humor tonight. Some pretty poignant moments. I'd hate to be put in the spot Owen was put into concerning what he found out about Joe's wife.

(Won't mention it just yet in case some have DVR'd the show and not watched yet.)

But for those who have watched it, wouldn't that really be a shitty thing to have to tell a friend (and I'm operating under the theory that if it's your friend you're no-doubt telling him)?

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Watched all 3 episodes up to last night and enjoying it. Braugher is the best thing on the show and his character Owen's Dad is scary. The characters for Bakula and Romano are developing slower I think, but I can see Romano's Joe hitting bottom at some point with his gambling addiction. And I doubt he ever gets anywhere with Fantasy Woman, though getting back with the hottie from the hotel is possible since his wife is moving on.

11. lantaur

That hottie from the hotel is gone - that was her (and the other guy's) going away party.

Also, I don't think Owen got the reaction he expected from Joe. It seemed to effect him more on the negative side as he didn't know the entire story.

Oh, and the guy who plays Bakula's boss does a great job of being a starf*cker and a schmuck. Worried he'll be a bit one-dimensional, but he's only a bit player anyway.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

FYI ... Mr. Belding will be in two upcoming episodes.

Draft saved Draft deleted