1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Fans of "Men of a Certain Age (TBS)"???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 9, 2009.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wife taped the premiere for me and I caught about half of it last night (Ray Romano, Andre Braugher, Scott Bakula). Three middle-aged buddies going through life.

I found it pretty funny with some LOL moments. As a forty-something, I can relate in some fashion and it will be a nice bookend to my new favorite "Modern Family."

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Andre Braugher is a great actor. Was brilliant in Homcide.

Will check it out next week.

3. I loved the premiere episode. Like you said, a couple laugh out loud moments while I think still poignant about what the show is really about. And even at 26 I still feel like I can relate to what they're feeling as men in a small sense.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looked good from the 10,000 previews I saw.

Then I forgot to watch it.

Advertising is ineffective.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If you looked for it on TBS that may be why you missed it.

It airs on TNT.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This was awesome. :D

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's more effective is news of a product being passed by word of mouth, when one person asks another if he uses a product.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What kind of product?

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Actually the advertisements had the opposite effect on me: I thought it looked horrendous. How many times were they going to play Ray talking about how much he peed, or have them look longingly into the mirror? But have heard several people say they liked it so will watch at least an episode now.

It was the same thing with White Collar on USA. The promos made it look cheesy, but the show is awesome.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A very positive review by one of my favourite TV critics, Alan Sepinwall

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2009/12/men_of_a_certain_age_review_-.html

I'm sure it's tempting to look at the cast of "Men of a Certain Age" — a new series Romano created with fellow "Raymond" writer Mike Royce about three friends in their late 40s — and say Romano has no business acting in a drama opposite Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula. But Romano will sneak up on you, and the show might, too.

I'm setting up the DVR Reminder for next week. Looks promising.

11. Rambler

Rambler Member

I thought Andre Braugher was excellent.

Being of that certain age helped me get into it. I found myself nodding in agreement to quite a few things that happened or were said.

I read somewhere that only a guy like Romano could get a series like this made. Enough money to do it and enough pull in the industry to get it off the ground.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm sure Ray Romano will be as funny in this as he was in his previous show.

Draft saved Draft deleted