1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any education questions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Dec 17, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It still pisses me off. It was a Descriptive Linguistics class. The longer of a term paper you wrote the better your grade. For the paper we had to answer something like 30 questions, include an annotated table of contents and a few other things.
    I concisely and completely answered all 30 questions in something like 45 pages, included the annotated table of contests and got a C. Another guy in the class answered maybe 20 of the questions, didn't include the table of contents, but wrote 60+ pages and got a B. The teacher's explanation "his answers were more complete". There were people in the class who turned in papers over 100 pages (and obviously got an A). I'm convinced this teacher based the term paper grades (which accounted for better than 80% of your grade in the class) on two things: 1) the length of the paper (the longer the paper, the better the grade) and 2) if you had breasts and a cute smile (automatically got you a higher grade than you might have deserved)

2. KG

KG Active Member

My roommate's son came over yesterday and the teacher had changed the 40 on his spelling test to an 80, admitting she made a mistake in grading his paper.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

NCLB sucks because some people just aren't good at taking tests.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it got straightened out.

5. 93Devil

But don't tell the President that.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had a college professor who was famous for situations like option No. 2 there. I didn't believe it when I was warned, then I got the wost grade of my four years in college.

Obviously, I still have unpleasant memories of her.

7. outofplace

That is only part of the reason it sucks. It forces teachers to focus too much on test preparation and not enough on education. I have quite a few friends and acquaintances who are teachers. Every single one of them sees NCLB as a huge problem.

8. KG

KG Active Member

As much homework as kids are bringing home these days, I'm scared to see how much homework my children will have when I finally get around to having them.

9. 93Devil

One of my favorite things to do is walk into an school and just see super model after super model or Maxim Girl after Maxim Girl teaching there. It cracks me up to no end.

The term "and the hits just keep on coming" has never more aptly applied.

It is fairly obvious that certain principals (and not just men) look for "school aesthetics" when hiring.

10. 93Devil

NCLB will be changed/altered if we can get Republican out of the main (G.W. Bush) office. It probably will never leave, but the 100 percent goal will be lowered and there will be a huge sigh of relief in the education community.

You can never get 100 percent of anything in life. Why ask for it when kids take a test?

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Maybe this has been mentioned, but the title of this thread should be: "Hey. I have three college degrees. I'm important. I want everyone to know."

12. outofplace

This from somebody who has complained about disruptive bullshit on other threads. Thanks for trying to start shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted