1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any education questions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. He actually is doing well in her class, but she is the one who gave him detention for forgetting to wear a belt.

He seems to have lost all respect for her and I am afraid he is going to pop off one time and it's going to cost him.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You can never go wrong with education. The more you have the better. If your child has a better working knowledge before they enter kindergarten than the other students, it can only be a positive.

Does it cost money? Is this a form of daycare or is it along the lines of Head Start?

Reading to your kid aloud for 15 minutes every night with them following along in the book is the best thing you could ever do with your child.

3. 93Devil

Forgetting to wear a belt? Were his boxers showing?

4. 93Devil

No grade should be below a 50 on a quiz. Zeros or low scores are death in a points based system.

For example...

A + F = C in regular old school grading.

95 (A) + 30 (F) = 125/2 = 62.5 which is a low D.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Man, I got a C on a term paper in college for a film class where the professor was from the art department not the english department. It was my first written paper lower than a B-plus since my first paper freshman year of high school. To this day, I'm convinced it's because the professor disagreed with my stance, even though it was well supported, well researched and well written.

I sent the guy an email asking about the grade and got no response. It was the end of my final semester of senior year, so I never bothered following up. Still pissed about it, though, because I know I was twice the writer anyone else in that class was and probably three times the writer he ever was.

(Yes, I'm bitter about that damned C. Fucker.)

[/end rant]

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nah. School uniforms.

7. 93Devil

Oh ok, Ace. I was wondering how the school justified the detention for a wardrobe issue.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't get me started.

9. KG

KG Active Member

I'm not a parent, but if I were, that's the same way I would have handled it. I have no idea what my roommate wrote in the letter he sent, but I'm sure it wasn't all kind words.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

When I was in school (graduated 10 years ago - ack!), rarely did I have actual homework that was done at home. I either had enough time to finish it in a class period, or was able to finish it in another class or on the bus or whatever.

Is it true that even the littlest kids now have hours of homework each night? Or is this an exaggeration? If it's true, what's the reasoning behind it?

11. 93Devil

Yes. No Child Left Behind has terrified schools so much that passing a test is the #1 priority.

Don't get me wrong, NCLB has some positive features, but preparing that kid to do well on one test has motivated the cramming of homework down their throats when they are five.

Not at all schools, but some.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Wow, Chef. Your boy has a great dad!

You, too, Huggy.

Draft saved Draft deleted