1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any CWS experts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pffft, Jun 16, 2010.

1. pffft

pffft Member

Probably heading to the College World Series for Saturday's games and have a few questions...I've only been one time before.

First, what is tailgating like? Last time I was there, our group was there quite early, but it didn't seem like much was going on. We still had a good time, but are there any recommendations? Also, I saw on the CWS site that alcohol is prohibited. Is this just in the stadium lots or something? Any suggestions?

As far as tickets go (just wanting GA), what would be the best way to go about that? Just buy from a scalper? I'm fairly certain you can get books of 10 for $70 or something, but we wouldn't be using all of them. I definitely don't want to stand in line at the ticket window, which sounds like a zoo from what I've read.

Any other tips?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tailgating depends largely on the teams there, I would think. Two SEC teams will help some, but they're from the East Division. The SEC West seems to be more passionate about baseball, as a whole. But since neither has been there in a while it might be a cool atmosphere.
    The other teams might bring a good crowd, too. It's a good mix of newcomers and regulars that haven't been there in a couple of years.

As for tickets, I can't help you. I had credentials. One thing I do remember, though, is to always approach Rosenblatt by heading south down 13th Street. Rosenblatt should be on your right and the zoo to your left. The main thoroughfare is 20th, which gets packed with parking lot traffic. Every time I came down 13th it was smooth sailing until a couple blocks from the stadium. You'll probably have to park on the street or walk a couple blocks if you don't have a parking pass, but it beats sitting in traffic.

3. highlander

highlander Member

Go Frogs!

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The traditional CWS teams usually rent houses down the street from the stadium. But, a lot of the traditional teams aren't there this year.
    Take a look for that. There will be BBQ and booze in the front yards.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I went last year for the first time, right as the championship series was about to start. Even though it was two big-time programs, had no problem getting a ticket for face value. Parking was different because I went to the zoo beforehand and if you do that you get to keep your parking spot for the game.

I also have to imagine that since it's the last year for Rosenblatt, there were be a bigger demand for tickets.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

This is the text from an Omaha press release about this year's CWS:

Fans attending the 2010 NCAA® Men’s College World Series® (CWS) can expect a number of changes related to pedestrian and traffic flow in and around the Rosenblatt Stadium property. Perimeter fencing around the stadium property and parking areas will enable City of Omaha and security personnel to manage access in and out of the stadium at seven access points, which will help ensure fan safety and the orderly flow of pedestrians and traffic throughout the Series.

“These guidelines will affect how fans line up to purchase reserved seat tickets on sale at the Rosenblatt box office, as well as general admission ticket holders,” according to Jack Diesing, Jr., president of CWS of Omaha, Inc.. “The guidelines will also affect what pedestrians are allowed to bring onto the stadium grounds, as well as where tailgaters are allowed to park.”

Reserved Seat tickets
    A limited quantity of reserved seat tickets are available for sale daily at the Rosenblatt Stadium box office. The following guidelines for purchasing these tickets will be in effect during the Series:

People will be allowed to line up outside the perimeter entrance identified as Gate No. 6 on Bert Murphy Street beginning at midnight throughout the Series.

Sequentially numbered wrist bands will be distributed to ticket buyers prior to the gates opening at 8 a.m.

The line will wrap around to 13th Street toward the entrance identified as Gate No. 7

At 8 a.m. when the perimeter gate is opened, ticket buyers can line up at the ticket window according to the number on their wrist band.

The box office will open at 10 a.m. Central time on Saturday and Sunday when games are scheduled for 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. The box office will open at noon on days when the first game is played at 3:30 p.m. or later.

Individual reserved seating costs $22 per game. Only cash and checks will be accepted.

Up to six tickets may be purchased per person for each game being played that day.

“There is no guarantee that everyone who waits in line will get the chance to buy a ticket,” announced Herb E. Hames, ticket chairman of CWS of Omaha Inc. “Due to the fluctuation in tickets that are turned back into the box office by teams, there is no way of knowing how many tickets are available until the morning of the game. The first four games of the Series are always heavily attended, no matter who is playing. People wanting reserved seat tickets should expect to wait in the ticket line, or they can go online to CWS Ticket Exchange (www.ncaa.com/cws) to buy tickets throughout the series.”

General admission tickets
    Fans with general admission (GA) tickets, which are non-guaranteed seats that admit fans to the right outfield and left outfield bleachers on a first-come, first-serve basis, can line up at midnight at Gate No 1 located on Deer Park Lane. The line will wrap to the east toward 10th Street and Gate No. 2. When the perimeter entrance Gate No. 1 opens at 8 a.m., GA ticket holders can proceed to the right field or left field general admission gates where they will receive a wrist band and wait for the stadium to open. Except for rest room breaks, ticket holders must remain in line from the time they arrive until the gates open.

Once the GA section is filled to capacity, the gates will close. If the gates don’t reopen after a few innings, ticket holders will have the opportunity to watch the game on a large-screen TV in the Fan Fest area. “It's important for fans to understand that because this is the last College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium, it's difficult to predict the level of interest in attending each and every game,” Hames noted. “This is a year to come to the ballpark extra early.”

GA tickets are available for $70 per book of 10 tickets from service clubs, at all Hy-Vee supermarket customer service counters, Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Qwest Center and other locations throughout the metro area. Individual GA tickets are also available for $10 each at the Rosenblatt Stadium ticket window. Ticket sellers are notified when the general admission section reaches capacity so they can advise buyers of the situation.

Signs will be posted at each controlled access point describing those items that cannot be carried onto the stadium grounds, including coolers, backpacks and umbrellas. Purses, fanny packs, medical kits and other personal items brought into the stadium may be subject to inspection.

Persons with parking passes and tailgaters will be directed where to park. “Fans who are tailgating can set up a canopy and have their coolers next to their vehicles, but will need to remove them when they leave to go home,” Diesing added. “The new guidelines require the Rosenblatt parking lot to be cleared every night. We regret any inconvenience these measures cause College World Series fans, but anticipated heavy attendance at this year’s event requires enhanced measures for controlling pedestrian and traffic flow during the Series.”

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Go to the Upstream and watch it on TV.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Is this heaven?

No, it's the Upstream.

Draft saved Draft deleted