1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Cigar Smokers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jul 23, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed them on a moderate basis for the past 20 years or so; for the past 15 years I only smoked them on the golf course. I've had the pleasure of enjoying a few Cubans (there is simply no substitute); and have found as my sweet spot Hondurans, which I think are a reasonably priced, full-bodied smoke.

However, I've finally decided to quit. I've tried before, due to marital pressure, but am deciding to do so because I guess I recognize I am ready to think more about the health consequences. My physicians and dentists have said moderate use was okay before but I guess enough is enough for me.

How about you?

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I used to go to Cuba for work quite a bit and had an extensive cigar collection as well as muling them back for friends of mine. I fell out of the cigar habit and my humidor went dry wrecking ~$600 worth of cigars.

I considered selling the humidor as smoking cigars was always a social thing with friends and not as many of them smoke anymore. If I am travelling or offered a decent cigar I would not turn it down but will not be taking it up as much as I used to.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I dabbled in cigars for a few years but I stopped when my kids were young. I'll still fire one up on the golf course to keep mosquitoes away.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

When I was single, we had a monthly poker game and we would take turns supplying the cigars and we would try to outdo each other by getting the best cigars (within reason) that we could find.

I'd be surprised if I've had more than 2-3 over the last 12 years though.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You should now be able to get Non smoker rates on your medical and
    life insurance plans. Besides better health the money savings can
    be pretty big.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

This thread is such a nice way to mark Monica Lewinsky's birthday.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like what George Carlin had to say about cigars.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You have to be really subtle now to get political discussion by the
    eagle eyed mods.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was into cigars a bit for about 10 years starting about 25 years ago. Really enjoyed the Thomas Hinds Nicaraguan line. The short churchill was a really smooth and tasty smoke. Just got too hard to find them. Then I got into the Victory Sinclair Bohemians. Ugly looking things, but smooth as all hell.

But I think the last cigar I had was on my last cruise in 2010. A good Macanudo with a snifter of Appleton Estate rum in the ship's cigar bar. I now have some Mount Gay Extra Old rum on hand but don't have a good cigar to enjoy with it. And I'm not really of the mind to go out and get one.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm headed back to Atlantic City in a few weeks with a buddy who's big-time into cigars. I've really never been into cigars, but I figure I'll give it a shot since he'll probably want to go to any and all cigar shops/bars he can find. He suggested I start out with the Montecristo No. 4.

Any other suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a fortune here, but I don't want trash, either.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Damn! Amy brings the high cheese.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The Monte Cristo 4 is a good suggestion. Not so big that it is overwhelming and not a harsh smoke.

Draft saved Draft deleted