1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Any Alt-Country fans out there?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love the Old 97's and Lucero (found them through this site) and kd lang's early albums. Will also give a shoutout to Canuckistani faves Blue Rodeo. Jamey Johnson's latest got a great review recently in Rolling Stone. Will have to check it out.

2. maberger

maberger Member

i really like blue rodeo -- hell, you might could even consider cowboy junkies, no?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I think so.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

For those who like a Canadian flavo(u)r, check out Ridley Bent. And Blue Rodeo, too. Would Kathleen Edwards count as alt-country?

Jamey Johnson is great, but he's not alt-country; he's pure country.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I've got to say I don't consider Neutral Milk Hotel alt-country. More indie rock, like The Mountain Goats or Vampire Weekend.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Here ya go, check this one out: "The Brooklyn Side" by the Bottle Rockets, whose frontman, Brian Henneman, grew up with Farrar and Tweedy and was the "hired gun" on lead guitar for Wilco's first album, "A.M.," on which the band is still definitely alt-country.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"The Brooklyn Side" is worth getting just for "Thousand Dollar Car."

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yep. "Radar Gun" and "Welfare Music" are great, too. Really, though, awesome songwriting from start to finish.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The great Phil Lee should be noted:

http://www.last.fm/music/Phil+Lee/+tracks

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

ever seen him? my buddy told me people were shouting ' play summer of 69 and heaven' and he got really pissed

11. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

A lot of this is hard to define, really. They've definitely got some folk influence, and they're listed on Wikipedia's list of alt country acts. Of course, Wikipedia isn't the authority, though no one really is. Good music is good music, no matter what genre it might be in. I certainly see your point, ADodgen.

12. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

QTF.

Honestly, I probably define a lot of this as indie folk/indie rock because I don't see myself as an alt-country person. But there's definitely a lot of blurring of the lines between those genres.

Draft saved Draft deleted