1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ants Attack!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

What!? Big, tough sports guys whining about little nips from a little critter? I'll put up with a little inconvenience cuz I like the lil fellows ... just as long as there aren't 10s of 1000s wanting to winter over.

This from the Ohio State extension service on the Asian lady beetle:

Stains and Odor. When lady beetles are disturbed, they defend themselves by exuding a yellow-orange body fluid, which is their blood. This defense mechanism is termed reflex bleeding. The blood has a foul odor and can permanently stain walls, drapes, carpeting, etc. Thus, do not crush or swat lady beetles so as to minimize their defensive behavior.

"Bites." Although an uncommon occurrence, multicolored Asian lady beetles have been reported to nibble, nip, or "bite" humans. These lady beetles are not aggressive toward humans, and they simply may be examining an unfamiliar substrate or they may be seeking moisture. Their occasional nibbling is not reported to break the skin or draw human blood.

Allergic Reactions. Some individuals report an allergenic response to lady beetles. Although published reports are uncommon, multicolored Asian lady beetles apparently can cause inhalant allergies. These allergies clear up once the lady beetles are removed.

I'm not so thrilled about ants. Kill 'em KG and the world will be a better place

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

You have sugar ants. Use Terro. It works. Every time.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Yeah, we used to live in the south. That's where we started using it--on those giant, pet-eating roaches.

4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

KG -- here is a solution that worked incredibly for me. Borax/Boric acid was already mentioned, but the trick is to mix it with powdered sugar and put it where you know the ants will get it. I believe the mix was something like 4:1 (sugar:borax), so it's super sweet and the ants have no idea they're dragging poison back to the nest. (i had originally tried borax on its own, but the ants avoided it at all costs because, you know, it's poison, and apparently they're not tiny morons.)

anyway, i used the powdered sugar/borax mix, and the next day there was not a sign of the ants at all. and this less than 24 hours after the little fuckers were EVERYWHERE. A few months later, some ants reappeared and again I dispatched them inside of a day.

trust me, this will work. and you won't need much of the mix. just put a few piles out in the places you see the ants. they'll do the work for you.

5. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

and woohoo! that was my 500th post.

to think, it only took like five years.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks, Mr Write. The bait I put out seems to have worked, but if I see any more, I'll try your sweet solution.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's actually the line he uses at bars.

8. KG

KG Active Member

Okay, Dools, who's the perv now?

9. dooley_womack1

You started it.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Oh, I can bring it.

11. dooley_womack1

Yeahyeah. And shotty just spit Dr Pepper and doesn't know why.

12. KG

KG Active Member

Moment of silence.

Draft saved Draft deleted