1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antelope Valley Press Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Did this job ever get filled?

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

buddy of mine e-mailed them but never got a response. guess that's normal though for most papers where they're too busy to even reply to ya

3. ogre

ogre Member

Job is still open. Word on the street is that if ASE doesn't get the job he is going to bail. The other editor has already put in his two week's notice. So, with a month before preps start up, the sports desk could be down three editors.

4. ogre

ogre Member

Job has been filled. Former ASE is now SE. ASE spot also filled.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Thought I'd bump this one since the SE spot is open so soon.

6. Claws for Concern

What happened? They have a few spots open now. Must suck with winter HS sports about to be in full swing.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Obvioiusly, the powers that be SUCK at hiring people, since everyone they hired this summer quit already. That, or the job sucks. Take your pick.

8. Claws for Concern

The AVP should hire Vin Diesel to run the show.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

My thoughts exactly. He couldn't do a worse job than they obviously did.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Generally incorrect.

This paper has had two SE's in 10 years before Kaniewski: the aforementioned Dan Dinsmore and John Purcell, who left this year to go to cooking school. That's two SE's in 10 years at a 40k paper -- not a bad track record.

And sources tell me that Kaniewski is bailing to follow his girlfriend -- a former AVP photog -- to her new real estate gig in Colorado. Hence the opening.

According to my sources, the paper is also dealing with one reporter who left to do a Mormon mission, one who's leaving to have a baby and one who is in ill health and never came back from disability.

In otherwords, stuff happens that's out of the hands of even the most conscientious and well-intentioned hiring editors.

11. paulbunyan

paulbunyan Guest

You all seem to know a lot about the Antelope Valley Press jobs and how bad it must be to work there, but do any of you actually work there?

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

damn! that sounds like a shitload of bad luck. like a guy who gets struck by lightening..........twice!

Draft saved Draft deleted