1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antelope Valley Press Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Jun 15, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, there is this little thing called the San Andreas Fault... ;D

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Parts of which you can see from the Antelope Valley Freeway, which bisects the fault.

Still (threadjack alert), that beats having the resident weather dude come on your screen and warn you about the latest tropical storm/hurricane bearing down on your ass.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

don't forget about the snow or ice storm you have to worry about during winter.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Nah, you might get some snow in the AV. A dusting. MAYBE once a year.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Virtually all newspapers have had staff reductions, some fairly serious, since the 1980s and '90s. So none of these papers are what they were in the 80s and 90s, especially when seen through the prism of those who were working there at that time. 

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The AV Press hasn't had any staff reductions. It was always staffed a bit on the light side, especially in light of the fact that it is supposed to cover a region larger than Rhode Island and with a greater population than Cleveland.

Not grossly understaffed, but not what you'd expect for a paper covering a region like that -- one of the fastest growing areas of the state. And for a paper serving that many people, it should: 1) be better than it is, and 2) have a larger circulation.

Of course you could say that about many papers.

7. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

At least with a hurricane/tropical storm, you get warning and can get the hell out of Dodge (or Pensacola, for me). Then again, some people just don't listen. And if you're too poor to drive out of town, walk. It sure beats the alternative.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Hurricanes/tropical storms account for many more deaths every year internationally and nationally than earthquakes do on average, but it's true that individuals who can afford transport suffer little risk of mortality from hurricanes. I just think the property damage and inconvenience year after year in hurricane-prone places would get old in a hurry.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

DING, DING, DING... We have a winner. Don Pardo, tell us what SoCalScribe has won...

Well-phrased. I'd much rather deal with the 6-plus earthquake once every 10 or so years than have to put up with that year after year after year.

And ESPNGuy, I don't know about Scott's background, since he got there after I left and I've only talked to him on the phone.

10. GeorgeMoore

GeorgeMoore Member

It's a pain in the ... but it really isn't that bad. I moved to Pensacola from Sacramento 11 years ago and have been through ... too many hurricanes to count. Most of them are just wind and rain, and only the barrier islands get much damage. Only in the past two years -- with Ivan, Katrina, et all -- has it been bad enough to damage inland housing. And my thing is, if you live on a stretch of sand less than a mile wide, you should be self-insured. Anyway, this is way off topic.

I remember a kid who went from a clerk at the Fresno Bee to the Press, but I can't remember his name. I worked with him in Fresno. This was about eight years ago. Anyone know him?

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Chris Branam?????

12. Pica Poll

Pica Poll Guest

Chris Branam? Didn't he cover the Cal League back in the 90s?

And, BirdScribe, who was the SE back in the late 90s? Was it Purcell? They seemed to have a decent section back then. Where you there then?

Is the section as strong now?

Draft saved Draft deleted