1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anschutz buys the Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JRoyal, Sep 15, 2011.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20110915_12_0_Forove725215

As someone who grew up in Oklahoma, I'm shocked.

2. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Wow. Just wow.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But he couldn't be bothered to buy his hometown paper 2 1/2 years ago.

4. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Not familiar with the situation. Anyone care to guess whether this is good or not-so-good for Oklahoman employees?

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm just stunned at all the other things that are part of that deal...You wonder where the paper ranked in the list of assets he wanted.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the weekly in Russell, Kan., was a little too pricey for him. ;). I'm pretty shocked. I had no idea the Gaylords were looking to sell, but more shocked a businessman like Anschutz was looking to buy a newspaper.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tax writeoff?

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He's already been in bed with the L.A. Times in the Staples Center deal.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Oklahoman parent company on the move

For over 108 years the Gaylord and Dickinson families have controlled The Oklahoma Publishing Company, locally known as OPUBCO. According to Christy Everest, Chairman and CEO of OPUBCO, that will change in early October when all of the stock of OPUBCO will be sold to The Anschutz Corporation, owned by Denver-based businessman Philip Anschutz.

Read more: http://newsok.com#ixzz1Y39yTs4O

Any idea of how this will work?

It has to be better than CNHI buying another Oklahoma paper.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Broadmoor appears high on his list.

http://insiderealestatenews.com/2011/09/reporter-notebook-on-the-trail-of-the-anschutz-deal/

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It looks like the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville isn't on the list... haven't stayed there since a college convention in 1989. But I was VERY impressed by that property.

I have a feeling this transaction could work out better than if another newspaper company bought the Oklahoman. Then again, it could be Sam Zell...

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Agree with that, but who knows. People at The Oklahoman seemed to like working for the Gaylords and the sports section and website are damn good. Hopefully none of that changes.

Draft saved Draft deleted