1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Yahoo hire?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

I called Kevin out of the blue once looking for a phone number and he returned my call superfast gave it to me, which was really helpful and nice of him.

Good for him landing some cash and a good gig.

2. ogre

ogre Member

I check Yahoo Sports all the time. At first, it was because of email, just to check headlines. But since they started hiring this stable of writers, it is a must read.

What I like most is that it's not just commentary. They seem to approach covering sports like a paper in the sense that there is event coverage, analysis and breaking news such as the Bush benefits and BALCO leak.

It is exciting for our industry that this is happening. When they hired Tim Brown, that made it real to me since I had so enjoyed reading him at the LA Times whether it was baseball or Lakers. Adrian, Cole, Passan, etc., are all big dogs.

So now they hired a boxing writer. Good. Keep it coming.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yahoo! will truly be a big-time sports site when they hire a soccer guy.

;D

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Your hired if you want the job man.

5. lsufan1

lsufan1 New Member

When will Yahoo expand into college coverage? Seems like they have everything else covered -- from martial arts to very strong NFL, mlb

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They have quietly (and not so quietly) been doing some solid investigative work and building a name for themsleves.THe Reggie Bush story, the story about possible ethical quantries involving the Chronicle reporters relationships with the defense attorney leaing grand jury testimony come to mind. Add to that a roster of columnists they have been collecting, who can flat out write and do it in a thought provoking, intelligent way, I'd say it looks like they are serious about building a portal that gets ahead based on the quality of their work. The fact that they are willing to pay to get the kind of talent they are speaks to that. If I was a long-time columnist, at the top of my game, but feeling bored after a number of years doing the same thing--and at the same time saw the current state of the newspaper industry in which newsroom staffs are being cut without consideration of the fact that when you degrade the editorial product (the part most editorial types are concerned about, out of pride0 you likely cost yourself readers, and when readers flee, advertisers flee.

I am not intimate with the pitch Yahoo! is giving to the guys they have targeted, or if the money is as good as it sounds, given the fact that you are essentially turning yourself into a freelancer--an independent contractor who has an extra 7.5 percent in taxes to contribute the part of SS the employer usually picks up, and the fact that you have to pony up for your own health insurance. But assuming that it finanacially makes sense, and I have heard it does, they are doing enough solid, interesting work and adding some talent you could feel great about working with. It seems like it is at least worth a long, hard look if they express any interest in you.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, they are buying Rivals.com ...

8. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Well, who was it?

9. lsufan1

lsufan1 New Member

I hear the offer was rejected yesterday; staying in newspapers

10. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

smart move! :)

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just read Microsoft is looking at buying Yahoo, so what - if anything - will that change?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Here is the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070504/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_yahoo

Draft saved Draft deleted