1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Worthless Sports Reporters Panel (12/10) . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Dec 10, 2006.

1. how can this be blamed on the host? i'm a huge jeremy schaap fan and john saunders fan.... the host has virtually nothing to do with whether the show is any good. lupica and the producer, joe valerio, determine who is on the show and what is talked about on the show. it was that way when dick schaap was the host. it is straight comedy to blame the host for what transpires on that show.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ever see Dick Schaap on that show?

I mean, holy fucking Christ, do you sound ill-informed.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

What are you people even doing awake at that hour to watch the show?

4. Clever username

Um, he used to be on the show. I think he would know a little bit.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I just edited to ask whether he had ever seen Schaap on the show.

The host makes a HUGE impact.

Schaap's ability to put Loopy in his place with a dozen or so syllables... his always-superior parting shots.... his frame of reference....

6. Clever username

I agree with all that. I haven't been awake to watch the show in years, and the last time I did, Dick Schaap was the host and I thought it was great.

I was just saying, J-Dub, having been on the show, would likely have a pretty good idea of what goes on behind the scenes, even if he isn't exactly objective on the subject.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

My original post was sloppily constructed.

I understand your point.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember the anticipation of setting my alarm my first year in college so I could race upstairs to the lounge and watch Sports Reporters. Columbo is 10000% right and, as usual, Whitlock is a complete fool...Dick Schapp made those shows.

now it's so bad it may as well be a parody. The only time I've watched the show in the last decade, I was in a hotel room with the most basic of cable and there was nothing else on when I coudln't sleep at 4 am.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Exactly, B.

That's my experience and take on it in a nutshell.

But don't worry.... we're racist because we say the show has fallen apart when, coincidentally, John Saunders has been the host.

I don't think anyone could have replaced Schaap in that format.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What bothers me about Saunders is that he's a LeBetard-ian jock sniffer too often. But he also appears much more likeable and when he's doing studio hosting and not offering opinions he's quite fine. That said he'll never be able to do anything with that panel. Hell Sam Donaldson couldn't lead a reasonable debate with those clowns.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not even spank-o-vision?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My favorite spank-o-vision story: The administrative assistant for the college baseball team I cover had curfew duty, and one night on the road he walks in on two players, each sitting at the foot of his bed and spanking furiously, hoping to finish before the free 2-minute spank-o-vision preview ended.

Draft saved Draft deleted