1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another white man shoots a black kid story from Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn, this is getting old.
    http://staugustine.com/2012-11-27/man-charged-killing-teen-jacksonville-over-loud-music#.ULeRlWe8q9s

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Another responsible gun owner forced to protect himself!

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

From what? Loud music?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From the story:

It's a pretty awful story. Guy fires "eight or nine" shots, which seems excessive, and I'm not sure how he "felt threatened" if the deceased never left the car.

But, how is this "getting old"? How often does this happen?

Trayvon Martin was killed in February. Is there some pattern, or epidemic, you see that I'm missing?

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

From the comments section:

If it was rap music then they should let Dunn go!
    ps. One can only take so much of savages and thier disregard for everyone else but themselves. Of course this only made the news because someone white was involved. TOTAL misrepresentation of whats really going on in that

One side of my family is from Jacksonville. The place never fails to outdo itself.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

White men shooting black teens is old. As for this being a pattern, I'll let you figure that one out.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like the killer is trying to use the Stand Your Ground defense but the police aren't buying it. And they actually took the step, unusual in Florida, of investigating the shooting.

8. YankeeFan

Is there more or less of a pattern of black on black shootings?

The racial component in this case seems to bother you most. Are shootings not as tragic when there isn't a racial component?

This story is terrible. Absolutely terrible. The Trayvon Martin case was completely avoidable as well.

But, these stories get a lot of attention because they are rare, not because they happen all the time.

Black on black shootings happen daily. They're not rare, they're not exploitable, and they don't allow for the venting of anger, free of introspection.

9. YankeeFan

If no one got out of the car, and they weren't trying to run him over, the dude is fucked.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

White on White shootings occur daily too. The point that this guy unloaded on an unarmed car of kids at a gas station because their music was loud is a tragedy. Throw in the race cards and the fact that it happened in Florida and you've got a bigger story. That's all I'm saying.

11. YankeeFan

The facts you list make it a big story. I agree.

What should have ended up with an old white man waving a rolled up newspaper to the sky, and decrying the "youth" of today -- with their load music, and their low pants -- ended up in a shooting.

But, you referred to "another" shooting, and said it's "getting old".

I just don't see the evidence for those assertions. Even the most racist white folks aren't running around shooting black teenagers on a routine basis. When you have to go back 9 months for something similar, that's not a pattern.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Having this happen once is one time too many.

Draft saved Draft deleted