1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another travel question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 2, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I just got back from my brother's wedding in Half Moon Bay in California. Nice little beach town that is only a short drive away from San Fran. I'd recommend it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Chattanooga is nice for a weekend.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Halifax, Nova Scotia

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm on board. Lots to do. Things to see.

Easy to find good, live music. All kinds. Country and Western.

5. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

Charleston, Savannah, and St. Augustine are places I always hear women say they like. I don't see the attraction but they're OK for a weekend.

Sedona, the Keys, and Napa would be on my list.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick, when is upcoming? Because if it's September, that's the best time of year to hit Cape Cod here. Crowds gone, water still OK for beaching. Attractions and such still open. If upcoming means October, well, that's leaf time. The Berkshires, Vermont, White Mountains. New England's the most beautiful place in the world for two or three weeks a year.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I haven't been, but would think the Greenbrier in W. Va. would be great for a short trip. Only caveat is I don't know how far it is from a commercial airport.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

From your list, Portland or New Orleans.

If the former, the weather should still be nice, so take a Mount Hood hike.

If the latter, get a tattoo at Electric Ladyland, 610 Frenchman Street. There's a bar about a block away that has great small-batch bourbons and single-malt Scotch. And live music.

I've done all that -- and lived in one.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Go to Portland, shoot some heroin and see where the trip takes ya.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Greenbrier is a great resort. It is also extraordinarily expensive.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ooh, ooh, a must do, bucket list item for me is to visit the US Congressional Bunker, which was built underneath the Greenbrier in 1958 as part of Continuity of Government (CoG) plans. The Washington Post disclosed the location of it back in May 1992, and it was immediately decommissioned and later on became a tourist attraction.

The Greenbrier - The Bunker at The Greenbrier

The Greenbrier - The Bunker at The Greenbrier

Supposedly a new bunker has been built for Congress right in DC. I have an idea where it is, but I am not saying because I don't want the shadow government coming after me. I believe the government is trying to take care of the mineshaft gap.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Was going to say if you pick NE, Cape Cod or Portland ME. Last time at Cape in Provicetown saw about 12 whales. Have heard people say they've gone and not seen any. Went twice, saw at least 10 both times, was pretty cool. Dick, think you're more of a scotch or whiskey fan, but NE has several real good breweries. In Mass, Tree House, Trillium, Jack's Abby. VT - Alchemist, Lawson, Fiddlehead, Hill Farmstead. ME - Allagash, Maine Beer Co., Shipyard is good because the tour is free and you get four or five 4 ozs. Also they have soda for kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted