1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

another terminology thread: "gal"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jps, Oct 2, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No worries, JJ. This place is a venting board for many. Just seemed out of character, is all. Hope all is well.

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

to me, gal has always been offensive just because it seems to be used in a condescending way.. as if gals are inherently inferior. Maybe because it comes from an era that had that mind set?

3. Flash

Flash Guest

See: ladies (archaic)

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

i don't think i've heard a gal reference when it wasnt preceded by "nice."

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Would you refer to women athletes as chicks? Babes? Sweethearts? Why, then, gals??

At best, it's cheesy. Works for Willard Scott. Doesn't work in print.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But silentbob, reading "She's such a nice gal" just includes the understood head pat and tongue cluck. Like "How nice she's trying to play sports like the boys!"

Picture someone you'd describe as a "nice gal" and someone you'd describe as a "smart woman." I'm guessing they're completely different females.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

aren't the cheerleaders for the cincy bengals called the
    "ben-gals?"

a guy's a guy, a gal's a gal. i don't find it offensive, like i said before. just antiquated, dated and corny.

then again, i'm not a gal. i'm a guy.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, absolutely not. agreed.

i just don't think in this world of truly offensive words that "gal" should even be a contender. corny and dated, yes. would i say it or write it? heck, no.

but if someone referred to me as a "swell fella," i wouldn't take offense. i'd just presume the person referring to me as a "fella" was pretty old.

just like when my dad refers to a woman as a "nice gal" or "pretty gal," it's impossible to take offense. you just gotta laugh.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bottom line is what 21 said: There's just no good reason to use it.

If it's questionable at all -- and there's some debate over whether it is -- just don't use it.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

all i know is that ijag is a swell gal....

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

See, I'm completely screwed here. I can't be mean to the guy who just got burgled!!!

I HOPE YOUR FLIGHT HOME IS DELAYED AND YOU'RE STUCK INSIDE THAT HELLHOLE OF AN AIRPORT!!! :D

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Yeah, well, I flew through Augusta to Charlotte and then home, not Atlanta, so there!

Draft saved Draft deleted