1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

another terminology thread: "gal"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jps, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Everything that we could possibly say or write could be offensive to "some."

Perhaps it doesn't make for good copy, fine, don't let it through. But, really, anybody who actually gets upset over "gal" needs to find something to better occupy their time.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Then there's a serious faction of females I've met who need that something.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't even understand how you'd use the word in a story, in any context. But in the context of sports, I'll vote for condescending at best.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My mother uses "gal", so I'm having a tough time with it being offensive. I don't use it, and agree with 21 in wondering how or why someone would use it, but don't have a problem with it.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Used to cover a school whose nickname was the Eagles. The girls teams were known as the E-Gals. It was...sort of weird.

6. jps

jps Active Member

it's in his columns time to time. he's sort of the folksy guy that everybody in the readership area likes to read but isn't a great writer all the time. used to coach girls basketball, baseball, football, etc., and sometimes talks about a 'gal' he used to coach or what have you.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm sure there are.

Just because someone complains about something doesn't mean their complaint is valid in terms of the grand scheme.

8. silentbob

silentbob Member

i wouldn't use it in copy, but someone will have to explain how "gal" could possibly be offensive. especially considering "guy" isnt.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Considering a lot of women call each other, I'm sure endearingly, "whore" and "bitch" just like a lot of black people still call each other you know what, I have a hard time understanding why other females would get upset over being referred to as a "gal."

I mean, way to pick your battles.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I think "gal" is fine.

If you're talking about Annie Oakley.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dude, are you OK? Never seen you ripping on everything all over the board like this before ... :-\

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, I'm okay....well, I will be. Sorry, gang, I really am not usually like this. Bit of a rough week, but I'll bounce back. Cheers. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted