1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another story about a sports writer in a new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If you were stuck next someone wearing one of those shirts, why not take that opportunity to engage with them rather than try to get away from them? Wearing a t-shirt like that is ignorant, so if there’s a chance to change their view, take it.

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I like that approach, and have tried it. I’d like to try it more, but sometimes I prefer to not engage with someone who is likely to be obnoxious and belligerent when I have to sit next to them on a four-hour flight.

I have friends who think the majority of journalists are dishonest scum. They think I’m the outlier. I’ve tried for years to prove otherwise but no amount of conversation has changed that.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

At this point, there’s no convincing anyone of anything. The battle lines have hardened.

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I welcome those occasions and have been presented with a few opportunities along these lines. I acknowledge and understand a person's cries of "fake news," but I also point out all the good journalism that exists, notably from the company for which I work. These discussions always result in making a new acquaintance and having a meaningful conversation, and they always end with a handshake. Just my experiences.

Draft saved Draft deleted