1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another steroid case for the hypocritical and fradulent Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, May 8, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

For the love of fuck. Don't you need to have hair to get it cut?

What a pathetic piece of shit. The players don't like you. They don't respect you. They laugh at you to your face. Imagine being 62 and trying to cozy up to people who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

For crying out fucking loud.

In unrelated news, the 2003 Boston Red Sox called. they want their schtick back.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

they showed bald jay on SNY tonight ... frightening

3. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/can/press/2006/2006_08_04_arnold_sentencing%20press.htm

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Did Jay have mustard on his tie?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There ain't <i>nothing</i> that brings out the best in BYH like Mets shit with a side of Jay!

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That or spaghetti sauce.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

cream, Funny how you frame your arguments. I didn't say a word about what Arnold did or what he was sentenced for. I talked specifically about the law and how FDA approval works. Are you arguing that it ISN'T illegal to distribute steroids--including designer steroids the Feds don't know about yet? Please go ahead and make that argument and tell me how clueless I am again.

I don't care if Arnold pled himself down to a jaywalking charge. It doesn't change what he ACTUALLY did--the guy developed Norbethone (or revived it) and THG and DMT and all were illegal to distribute under U.S. law. The grand jury indicted him under three conspiracy counts, including conspiring with Victor Conte to distribute THG (which WAS illegal--under US law and under FDA rules, whether the FDA knew specifically about THAT steroid). In exchange for his plea bargain, they dropped two of the conspiracy counts. It doesn't mean he didn't develop THG or that developing a designer steroid was legal or distributing it was legal. None of those things are legal, as much as a bunch of drug dealers wish they were.

8. Ragu --
    Judgin by the results, the Feds case on BALCO really was kind of weak, given the attention it's garnered.

9. The Big Ragu

FB, Maybe. But it doesn't change what Patrick Arnold and Victor Conte and James Valente and Greg Anderson did... They were drug dealers. They developed steroids (that are illegal for distribution without FDA approval and without a doctor's prescription for legitimate medical use if the FDA approves the drug, under U.S. law) and they ran a business in which they provided those steroids to people, including some very high profile athletes. They sold illegal drugs for money. It's really that simple. I understand some people think this is a bigger deal than others, but it is still fact.

It doesn't really matter how successful a prosecutor thought he might be proving it in a prolonged and expensive trial. All the evidence of this that has come to light, including what was reported in the San Francisco Chronicle and the book, lifted any doubt most people have about what those men did, and about the athletes they were hooking up with performance-enhancing drugs. And whether or not the Feds stuck it to each of them for long prison sentences, they still all did plead guilty to various steroid-distribution charges. They are all admitted drug dealers and convicted felons.

10. creamora

creamora Member

The feds have spent tens of millions of dollars investigating and prosecuting the case. From August of 2002 until November of 2005 more than 13 million had already been spent. A 120 day sentence in a club fed men's retreat was basically the result. In short, that means that more than 100,000 per day of federal tax dollars were spent for a short vacation at a retreat. After the very high profile stories about the huge fish that was caught, they plea bargained for a very light sentence. Why? Because they never had the case they said they had or was written about in the Chronicle. Many untrue stories were told to the public. Who is accountable for all of the misinformation that was reported?

11. The Big Ragu

I'm confused. Why did the men I mentioned plead guilty to felonies? And isn't there sometimes a disconnect between what a Federal prosecutor can prove in a court of law and what a criminal may actually have done? Either way, I'm still confused. Why did those men plead guilty to felonies, if there is nothing to the Balco/athletes story, as you seem to be suggesting (if you're not suggesting that, please clarify)?

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted