1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another steroid case for the hypocritical and fradulent Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, May 8, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

ANOTHER minor leaguer suspended for steroid use. Except this kid's a two-time offender...some dope named Jorge Reyes.

That's at least the fourth time a Met minor leaguer has been nailed for roiding. And of course there's Guillermo Mota...and this hilarious quote from the Mets after the Kirk Radomski shit hit the fan:

"The conduct in question is diametrically opposed to the values and standards of the Mets organization and our owners. We are and always have been adamantly opposed to the use of performance-enhancing drugs and continue to support Major League Baseball's efforts to eradicate any such use in our game."

Really? You're so opposed to it you rewarded Mota a two-year deal after he tested positive...and so opposed to it YOUR prospects keep getting caught with the good stuff. That's some way to voice your opposition.

Most reprehensible organization in pro sports. It's not even close.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Hasn't it seemed like most of those players who get caught now a days are Latin? Not all of them, but a majority? Or do I just not pay enough attention?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A majority, certainly.

Many steroids that are banned by the FDA are not illegal in the Dominican Republic, among other places. So what is perfectly legal and accepted for some Latinos gets them in trouble once they get to the States.

That's (one) among the many problems in baseball's War on Steroids.

On a related note, I learned today that THG (or "the cream") was not even banned by the FDA until <a href="http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00967.html">October 2003</a>. So the argument that Bonds (or whoever) was breaking federal law even if he wasn't breaking baseball law might have a few holes in it, as well.

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

That might tie in to what David Ortiz said about Barry Bonds' steroid use. Pretty much, Ortiz said that he had to give up drinking protein shakes and stuff from the Dominican because he wasn't ever sure what was in it and didn't want to fail a test.

It's probably not possible for these prospects to get some of their home-grown juice into the United States, but maybe they took it during the offseason and the stuff that they took just before leaving is still showing up on tests. If it dies down during the next couple of months, then that could be the reason.

You'd still think, though, that they'd take more care to check what's in their shakes.

5. creamora

creamora Member

buckweaver says, "I learned today that THG (or "the cream") was not even banned by the FDA until October 2003."

First of all, THG was called "the clear" not "the cream." I can understand how you might have become confused. Where did you learn that bit misinformation? The Game of Shadows book?

You are correct about the fact that THG was not banned until October 2003.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Buckdub, you might have a small penis, but it's sure as shit not from PED abuse.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is not true. The FDA didn't know THG existed until 2003 when Trevor Graham mailed a syringe that had some residue to the anti-doping agency. But the FDA doesn't have to know about--and specifically warn the public about (i.e. that press release)--a drug for it to be illegal. Federal law made trafficking in steroids illegal in 1990 or 1991 (I believe)--whether it is a known steroid or a designer steroid that no one knows about yet, which is what THG was.

Whether the FDA knew THG existed or not, it was absolutely illegal to manufacture and market a designer steroid without FDA approval (which requires medical trials and a medical reason for its usage in order to get FDA clearance)--which BALCO did not have. You can go to the U.S. Patent office and literally find thousands of abandoned patents for potential designer steroids that the drug companies were working on in the 1950s. Someone with the right chemistry background might be able to work with one of those compounds and create a new designer steroid that no one has ever before created. Because it is a new compound that no one knows about, the FDA can't be expected to have specifically banned it. That isn't how the FDA works. It's the other way around. If you have a drug you wish to market, it's up to you to get FDA approval, not for the FDA to find you already in business and then deem what you are doing illegal.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There you go letting the facts get in the way again.

10. creamora

creamora Member

Ragu,

You are absolutely clueless about THG and the FDA. Nobody. I repeat, nobody in the case was charged with anything connected with THG. Patrick Arnold was charged with the manufacture of Norbolethone, which had previous research showing showing that it had an effect upon protein synthesis and that it promotes muscle growth. There was absolutely no science available at the time regarding THG.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

[​IMG]

12. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

I love how Ortiz who clearly is not on any kind of performance-enhancer whatsoever is the go-to voice on Bonds' use. It's not like Ortiz suddenly resurrected his career midway though it, and it's not like that resurrection was associated with tremendous muscle and weight gain.
    Oh wait...

Draft saved Draft deleted