1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another sad story about a former NBA player

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jul 5, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He died in a hotel room, right? IIRC, it was not the Hilton either.

Name another profession outside of sports and entertainment where the best in their profession often die or live their final years in destitute conditions.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The players from Mt Vernon were never known as the brightest bulbs on the circuit. I am reminded of the story Al McGuire told about Earl Tatum who played for McGuire at Marquette. One time Tatum was being attended to by team trainer who asked "Earl where did you get hurt"? and Tatum pointed to the spot on the floor.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

"Hindered by his diabetes, which was diagnosed three years ago, Williams lost or walked away from jobs as a cleaner, handyman, high school girls’ basketball coach, bakery worker, and golf course groundskeeper. In 2005, he filed again for bankruptcy."

4. Boom_70

Jack of all trades master of none.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So what? A death from heart ailments can't occur in a hotel room?

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

So he can't coach girls hoops with Diabetes?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe he was looking for any excuse not to call in his team's games to the local paper.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't blame diabetes for being broke. I've had a few relatives who died from complications from it, but still had a house and health care. Not wealthy, but not in the poorhouse either.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

TV News Anchors. Trust me on that one. :)

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I remember hearing that Tatum, drafted by the Lakers, showed up for training camp and got a bonus check for something like $45,000. He tried to cash it at the front desk of the team hotel.

11. Boom_70

The ship be sinking.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's Michael Ray Richardson, Boom.

Draft saved Draft deleted