1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another sad anniversary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, I don't play. Met him twice, though. Seems nice.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not to out Frank ... but that comment seems right up Breslin's alley.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

While we're on Beatles books and movies, I'll take Alternate Histories for $500, Alex. Larry Kirwan, lead singer for Black 47, wrote an alternate history of the Beatles a few years back called "Liverpool Fantasy." In it, the Beatles never hit big. John was just a drunken middle-aged guy on the dole in Liverpool, Paul turned Vegas and was a cheesy Englebert-Humperdink-kitsch kinda of performer, George was a priest and Ringo a kept husband still in liverpool. Culminates in them planning to play together at some dive they used to play at before they "broke up." Pretty interesting.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yet another sad anniversary deserves a mention.

Thirty-nine years have passed since the deaths of Otis Redding and six other people, including four members of R&B instrumental group The Bar-Kays. The plane they were on crashed into a Wisconsin lake on December 10, 1967. Otis was only 26 years old.

Only three days before the plane crash, Otis recorded the song that would become the biggest hit of his career -- "Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay." As Dave Marsh once wrote of this song, if you were going to write an epitaph for yourself, you'd have a hard time coming up with a better one than this.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I thought it was kind of sick that they had part of the plane on exhibit at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame when I went there.

6. A very well done rememberance of the day Lennon died.

http://americandigest.org/mt-archives/004716.php#004716

Draft saved Draft deleted