1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another sad anniversary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nah, he got his Fat Elvis period over with early on -- late 1964, early '65.

And John Lennon audition for a job? No way. They passed the audition on the Apple rooftop in '69. :D

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was too young and already in bed when it occurred. But the way John Lennon's death was portrayed in the film "Mr. Holland's Opus" with the deaf young man upset about it, much to the surprise of his musical father, helped magnify its obvious significance.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's a very underrated movie.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere about the tears streaming down Steve's face when they played it. However the setlists from that night indicate they closed with Twist & Shout

http://www.brucebase.org.uk/gig1979.htm#41
    Dec. 9, 1980 - THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA

BORN TO RUN / OUT IN THE STREET / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / THE PRICE YOU PAY / INDEPENDENCE DAY / TWO HEARTS / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / THE PROMISED LAND / RACING IN THE STREET / THE RIVER / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / CADILLAC RANCH / SHERRY DARLING / HUNGRY HEART / FIRE / CANDY'S ROOM / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / 4TH JULY ASBURY PARK (SANDY) / FOR YOU / STOLEN CAR / WRECK ON THE HIGHWAY / POINT BLANK / RENDEZVOUS / RAMROD / YOU CAN LOOK / DRIVE ALL NIGHT / ROSALITA / SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN / JUNGLELAND / I'M A ROCKER / DETROIT MEDLEY / TWIST AND SHOUT

5. tommyp

tommyp Member

Thirty-five friggin' songs. One show.

Who else ever did that, and who can even come close today?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

whether it kicked off or ended with steve crying during "twist and shout" ....

WHAT A FREAKIN' SHOW!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was 16 when it happened, but I really don't remember when I found out about Lennon. Funny, but I remember exactly where I was when I found out about Elvis Presley. Sitting in the front seat of my dad's Chevrolet Kingswood station wagon, listening to the radio while my dad was in a feed and seed store. I can still see that particular brick wall as it looked through the windshield. All of which was weird, because as a youth I had no use for Elvis and I liked the Beatles.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was 15 and vividly remember hearing Cosell break it on MNF. Lennon was everywhere at that time. Double Fantasy had just come out to strong reviews - for John's stuff anyway - and his landmark Playboy interview had come out the week before. Who knows what would have happened from there. Would the Beatles reunite? (Doubt it, he was pretty emphtaic about it in Playboy.) Would Lennon keep making records and maybe tour again? (Probably.)

Who can forget a shaken McCartney, confronted by the media outside of a recording studio for his reaction to Lennon's murder: "It's a bit of a drag, you know?"

The Rolling Stone tribute issue to Lennon had some of the best work I've ever read in that magazine. I seem to have lost it in one of my many moves since 1980.

As for that Springsteen show, Fred Schruer's wrote about it in a Springsteen Rolling Stone cover story he did in early-1981.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Now the artists don't really control how long they can play, the unions representing the workers at the venues essentially do. Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna) recently wrote on his Web site that his longest show went nine hours back in the 1970s (six hours was routine for a Hot Tuna show then). Now he plays for about two hours and called the penalty "Draconian" for going overtime.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

That doesn't surprise me about Jorma. I saw him (without Jack) in either '86 or '87 in Buffalo. Can't remember too much of the show, as it was college. :)

Some of Tuna's live stuff is some of the best music I've ever heard.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bruce routinely did 4-4 1/2-hour shows in the 80s.
    The 3 Rising Tour shows I saw in 2003 ran about 2:15-2:30

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Tommy, I saw them last month. Still a good show, but it sure isn't 1976.

Draft saved Draft deleted